Leaders Policy e-Vote failed to pass; next steps.

Andrew van der Stock

Dec 2, 2020, 5:27:00 PM12/2/20
to Global-board

Hi Board,

Only two Board members voted "Yes" to this policy. Per the Community Review Process step 8, I am now required to pass it back to the Policy Review Team to see if they can fix the issues that led to this vote not being approved. However, there is not a lot of rationale as to why it did not pass for them to action. I would like your input on why it didn't pass, and if it's fixable or if it's a re-write.

VOTE

Grant Ongers - NO
Vandana Verma - YES
Gary Robinson - YES

Motion did not pass. (2 YAY, 1 NAY, 5 did not vote)

Grant wrote a comment that he feels that the policy needs to be re-written by projects and committee chapters. I would like to hear from the rest of the Board, particularly the five Directors who did not vote, as to what needs to change.

My initial thoughts on fixing this policy:

  • Policy must have a point that helps Leaders executing our mission, and is as frictionless as possible (the easy path is the correct path)
  • Policy must help the Foundation manage or automate policy
  • Policy exceptions are time-limited, must be documented. and reviewed regularly. If the policy operates through nearly all exceptions, the policy is wrong
  • Policy has self-correcting or enforceable controls and oversight

To that end, I would propose the Policy Review Team offer the Board, any interested committees or members, as well as the Foundation itself, a 2-3 hour window to meet and group edit the policy until it meets expectations:

  • Remove all unenforceable or unnecessary policies.
  • Review all necessary but high friction and contentious policy items from the feedback and from your feedback to determine if we want to change the policy setting or even keep that policy item
  • Some policy should be moved to handbooks as leading practices where there can be no objective enforcement or the policy is not easy to manage
  • Push through another 30-day policy review once this edit is complete.
Thoughts?

thanks,
Andrew

Andrew van der Stock

Dec 4, 2020, 1:51:50 PM12/4/20
to Global-board, Andrew van der Stock
Hi Board,

I'd really like to hear your feedback prior to Tuesday. You can submit it privately to me if you don't want to make a public statement about it. If I don't hear from you, I will be recommending a re-write in consultation with all the committees (and not just chapters and projects).

thanks,
Andrew

Grant Ongers (OWASP)

Dec 4, 2020, 2:27:05 PM12/4/20
to Andrew van der Stock, Global-board
My comments were, I think, clear.  I don't have a huge problem with the policy as is but I would like the committees to get involved. So... Your course of action is the one I would hope for. Thank you.

Martin Knobloch

Dec 5, 2020, 2:34:13 AM12/5/20
to Grant Ongers (OWASP), Andrew van der Stock, Global-board