Ovios Samba doesn't work!

gilberto...@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2019, 12:03:36 PM8/21/19
to OviOS Linux
Hi there

Why is so difficult to make samba works on OviOS?
I follow the docs, but nothing works at all!
I have enabled the services, have create the pool, then the vol, and a
couple of users, restart the smb services...
Have tryied from Linux box, Windows XP and Windows 7 and nothing!
Always get ACCESS DENIED! Why this happen???
In my LinuxMint (Ubuntu 18.x) 19.2 I was able to share a folder and
could access this folder from Windows 7 without any trouble (using
\\IP )!
What's happening with OviOS 3?

Thanks for any help

sone...@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2019, 9:12:16 PM8/21/19
to OviOS Linux
Thank you for reporting this.

It appears the upgrade to samba serber 4.9 "broke" the ovios smb server. The new version requires specifically a pool of UIDs to be assigned to any users at login time.
This was not required in previous versions, and I implemented the feature only when you would join a DC. So that would work fine even now.
However, I fixed this and uploaded an updated iso. To fix manually, you can also just add these lines to:
/etc/samba/smb.conf
in the [global] section:

idmap config * : backend = tdb
idmap config * : range = 1000000-1999999

I took a few screenshots after i installed the new iso:

1. start smb, add a user

oviosstats.png

2. export the volume with this user

onwin_user.png

3. go to windows , enter user and pw, it ill work this time:

onwindows.png

test.png

4. check smb stats

smb_stats.png