Junior Nationals Survey

Clare Durand

Mar 15, 2023, 2:38:43 PM3/15/23
to ClubNet
The Orienteering USA Rules Committee is investigating possible changes to the Junior Nationals, including the possibility of splitting apart the Interscholastic and Intercollegiate Championships into separate events. The primary impetus would be to avoid conflicts for students that sometimes occur when National Team selections are tied to these events. We are interested in feedback on some of our ideas. All interested parties are welcome to respond. We would especially like to receive responses from students, families, coaches, and event organizers.

Please forward this survey to all interested parties.

Thank you,
Clare Durand
OUSA Rules Committee Chair

Ruth Bromer

Mar 15, 2023, 5:16:44 PM3/15/23
to Clare Durand, ClubNet
Years ago these competitions were separate. The reason is that championship events are more expensive and take more effort to put on and there just weren't a lot of intercollegiate competitors, at least not a variety of schools. Most attended West Point. I assume that is the reason why the events were combined.

Separating IS from IC makes sense because of the required courses but I think that OUSA needs to work with whatever club is putting on the IC to make it worth their time and expense. I don't see anything in the questionnaire addressing this. If OUSA supplied all of the trophies as well as the championship medals, this issue wouldn't be a problem. There are enough IS competitors to cover the extra awards, but probably not enough IC competitors.

I like the idea of club teams because there are always those who can't make a team with just their own school, but might be able to gather enough juniors from their club. Would that be too much extra expense without OUSA help? This would be true for both IC and IS.

Ruth Bromer, BOK

Clare Durand

Mar 15, 2023, 8:06:08 PM3/15/23
to ClubNet
This survey now includes a space for a respondent to leave freeform comments. Thank you to those who pointed out this oversight.

Clare Durand
OUSA Rules Committee Chair

Clare Durand

May 3, 2023, 10:25:05 AM5/3/23
to ClubNet, Ron Hojnowski
The OUSA Board will begin discussing the results of the Junior Nationals Survey at our upcoming Board meeting on Monday, May 8. At this time, we have received 43 responses to the survey. Only 9 of those responses are from Juniors who attend the event. None are from JROTC youth. We very much want to know what the youth affected by any rule changes will think. Please try to get this survey into the hands of those schools and units that attend the Jr. Nationals so we can better understand what the Juniors think about these issues.

Thank you,
Clare Durand
OUSA Rules Committee Chair