PayPal Checkout Donation Question

Andrea Schneider

Nov 11, 2022, 4:57:02 PM11/11/22
to ClubNet
Has anyone ever donated to OUSA, like 1$ while checking out in a PayPal purchase? I have not quite figured out what makes an organization that I am affiliated with shows up during my check-out process when paying with PayPal. Just did an import foods purchase and my local orienteering club popped up as being able to donate $1. But I have not seen an option to pick anything else. I think my club may be registered with PayPal to be able to receive donations, but I am not sure.

Just wondering whether anyone may know more,
Andrea Schneider

Andrea Schneider

Nov 11, 2022, 5:23:04 PM11/11/22
to Info OCIN, ClubNet
Actually, I just tried it, looking whether I could find Orienteering USA, and I found the US Orienteering Federation, as an acknowledged charity I could make a donation directly from PayPal, but at the same time it showed it as unverified in terms of being able to donate that way.
Apparently if one makes a donation via PayPal to a charity, one can then set it as  “set favorite charity”, but it is not clear whether I could do that for an unverified charity, as it says "Charities enroll in PayPal Giving Fund and are automatically listed in the PayPal app and on PayPal’s fundraising site, making it easier for consumers to find charities and donate."
I'm thus not yet sure I want to give it a try if it were then not going to go to OUSA.

I know, maybe only tiny amounts, but I know how much my grocery coop store raises every week just from the customers choosing to round up their purchase to the nearest $.

Andrea

On Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 4:09 PM Info OCIN <in...@ocin.org> wrote:
Your club (MNOC) was registered with PP to receive donations.  Since I had registered and paid to attend a couple MNOC events in the past, I occasionally see the message asking if I want to donate to MNOC.  I also occasionally see a similar message promoting another organization to which I had previously made a direct payment or contribution.   I’m not sure if there is a rhyme or reason (probably some sophisticated algorithm) as to when and why PP makes this offer, but it seems to be clearly related to organizations to which you previously made a payment of donation.

Mike Minium

On Nov 11, 2022, at 4:57 PM, Andrea Schneider <andrea.s...@orienteeringusa.org> wrote:

Has anyone ever donated to OUSA, like 1$ while checking out in a PayPal purchase? I have not quite figured out what makes an organization that I am affiliated with shows up during my check-out process when paying with PayPal. Just did an import foods purchase and my local orienteering club popped up as being able to donate $1. But I have not seen an option to pick anything else. I think my club may be registered with PayPal to be able to receive donations, but I am not sure.

Just wondering whether anyone may know more,
Andrea Schneider

Barb Bryant

Nov 14, 2022, 7:02:36 AM11/14/22
to Andrea Schneider, Info OCIN, ClubNet