XLA Passes Document

Alexander Pivovarov

Apr 2, 2024, 6:46:32 PMApr 2
to OpenXLA Discuss
Hello Everyone

I looked at the xla/docs folder and can not find a document describing XLA passes.

Do we need such document?

I started working on it and uploaded draft version to the following location

Let me know what you think

Thank you

Alex P

Elliot English

Apr 3, 2024, 2:00:34 PMApr 3
to Alexander Pivovarov, OpenXLA Discuss
Hi Alexander,

Thank you for putting this together. We're working to add more software architecture documentation currently and your XLA passes would complement this well. If you can get a PR for a first version with even partial coverage, we can iterate to fill it out.

Thanks,

Elliot

George Karpenkov

Apr 4, 2024, 4:14:28 AMApr 4
to Elliot English, Alexander Pivovarov, OpenXLA Discuss
Hey,

We have an XLA:GPU architecture doc, which I've just realized could be more openly shared at openxla.orghttps://docs.google.com/document/d/18duKRu45q1Ie81EHliUJNOFXJGOVZVCXd0vA9IR_6xo/edit#heading=h.ygrgp28d9zpb

Indeed, having something like this in a markdown format would be very helpful.

There's also my talk presenting these layers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGxq0pueAXE

George

Alexander Pivovarov

Apr 17, 2024, 8:21:11 PMApr 17
to George Karpenkov, Elliot English, OpenXLA Discuss
Hey George, hey Eliot

I just opened PR-11636 which adds docs/passes.md. It:
- lists all xla pases
- adds description to the first several passes

Alex