Melbourne Python coaches sign-up thread

Steven Farlie

Jan 16, 2013, 10:09:36 PM1/16/13
to coaches...@opentechschool.org
Hi all,

OTS has landed in Melbourne! We are kicking off with an introduction to Python workshop. http://www.meetup.com/OpenTechSchool-Melbourne/events/99983172/

This is the sign-up thread for new Melbourne coaches. So if you are in Melbourne, or will be on Saturday February 23rd, introduce yourself here to join in.

For those new to coaching, we have a coaching guide here http://opentechschool.github.com/slides/presentations/coaching/

For an idea of what we get up to in the first workshop, check out the material from Berlin here http://opentechschool.github.com/python-beginners/en/index.html

Cheers,
--
Steven

Angus Gratton

Jan 21, 2013, 4:52:06 PM1/21/13
On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 02:09:36PM +1100, Steven Farlie wrote:
> This is the sign-up thread for new Melbourne coaches. So if you are in
> Melbourne, or will be on Saturday February 23rd, introduce yourself here to
> join in.

Hi everyone,

I'm very excited to come and be a coach for this workshop. I'm a
recent arrival in Melbourne, having moved from Canberra last month.

I got interested in activities like OpenTechSchool after co-running
some Arduino beginner workshops, one at the Electrofringe electronic
arts festival in Newcastle and then another at the hackerspace in
Canberra.

I love the idea of community-based open format learning, and
introducing people to programming in an accessible way.

- Angus

Matthew Iversen

Jan 24, 2013, 6:22:27 AM1/24/13
to coaches...@opentechschool.org
Hi there, I'd love to help out!

I've coded in python for about 5 years now, easily my favourite language :)

23 yo guy living in North Melbourne, so I'll definitely save the date!

You can check out some of my code here - https://github.com/Ivoz

Q- Does this program plan to have any follow-on courses, or is a purely get-to-know-you [python] introductory thing?

Cheers, Matt Iversen

On Thursday, 17 January 2013 14:09:36 UTC+11, Steven Farlie wrote:
Hi all,

OTS has landed in Melbourne! We are kicking off with an introduction to Python workshop. http://www.meetup.com/OpenTechSchool-Melbourne/events/99983172/
This is the sign-up thread for new Melbourne coaches. So if you are in Melbourne, or will be on Saturday February 23rd, introduce yourself here to join in.

Cheers,
--
Steven

Steven Farlie

Jan 24, 2013, 3:44:58 PM1/24/13
to coaches...@opentechschool.org
Awesome, welcome aboard.

Yes we've done a few different Python workshops. Aside from basic turtle stuff we've done network programming, Django and bio-python workshops.

Cheers,
--
Steven

Matthew Iversen

Jan 27, 2013, 10:48:26 AM1/27/13
to coaches...@opentechschool.org
So I was wondering whether you'd like coaches to meet beforehand, or if it's going to be a very open format, and whether you'd like me to join the meetup event or leave it for a 'learner' to join?

Steven Farlie

Jan 27, 2013, 8:37:23 PM1/27/13
to coaches...@opentechschool.org
Hi Matt,

Yes we'll have a coaches/organisers meetup in the week before the workshop. It's pretty straight-forward though. The coursework is going to be basic stuff, variables, functions, that sort of thing, and it will be online beforehand as well.

Cheers,
--
Steven

Daniel Vianna

Jan 28, 2013, 12:20:39 AM1/28/13
to coaches...@opentechschool.org
Hi all,

I am fairly new to Python and programming in general, but that's about all I do for a living right now. I would love to join, and coach, but I'm afraid due to family constraints I must be counted as an unreliable help. Weekdays would be best for me, and I will try to come 23 February, but I can't promise.

Cheers, Daniel.

Jonathan Whitmore

Jan 28, 2013, 2:21:49 AM1/28/13
to coaches...@opentechschool.org
Hi Steven and everyone!

I would love to help out with this upcoming (and future) workshop. Let me know what to do from here.

Regards,
Jonathan

Colin Rolfe

Jan 28, 2013, 8:56:39 AM1/28/13
to coaches...@opentechschool.org
Hi Steven,

Saw you at the Python meetup tonight but I didn't get a chance to chat with you.  I'd love to help out if you're in need of more coaches.

Cheers,
Colin

Steven Farlie

Jan 28, 2013, 10:15:41 PM1/28/13
to coaches...@opentechschool.org
Welcome aboard guys.

Daniel: That's cool, we usually keep up to date via the mailing list anyway so you won't miss out on much.

Cheers,
--
Steven

Jonathan Whitmore

Feb 5, 2013, 5:04:06 PM2/5/13
to coaches...@opentechschool.org
Quick question -- if we have signed up as a coach, should we sign up on the meetup page as well? Or is that for participants only?

Regards,
Jonathan

Steven Farlie

Feb 5, 2013, 5:27:48 PM2/5/13
to coaches...@opentechschool.org
In general, the meetup group is for participants, but some coaches like to use the meetup page to answer comments and the event goes straight into their calendar.

Meetup isn't an exact science, there will probably be a lot of no-shows, so it isn't a big difference.
--
Steven

Matthew Iversen

Feb 6, 2013, 9:17:05 AM2/6/13
to coaches...@opentechschool.org
I'd think that coaches wouldn't need to sign up to be attending the event, as it would 'allow' more students to come along :)

Steven Farlie

Feb 7, 2013, 9:35:51 PM2/7/13
to coaches...@opentechschool.org
There is a bit of invite-juggling to be done closer to the event, and I know who the coaches are so it balances out. The big problem is that many people sign up and just don't come along. Hence the invite juggling.

Luke Shillabeer

Jan 12, 2014, 7:19:55 AM1/12/14
to coaches...@opentechschool.org
Hi there, I'm interested in helping out as a Python coach, I've been coding for a few years now, lately solving the rosalind.info problems using Python and working as a paid intern coding almost exclusively in Python (on some bio stuff ^_^)...

How can I help out?