Re: [OTS-Python] License for learning material

Benjamin Kampmann

Nov 1, 2012, 9:44:00 AM11/1/12
to discuss...@opentechschool.org, coaches...@opentechschool.org, JS Coaches, Git Coaches, Math-3d Coaches
Hello everyone,

as of this morning the discussion was opened under which licence we should best release curriculums and other OTS materials. Quickly we reached the conclusion, that CreativeCommons seems to be most suitable for our aims. But as there are multiple versions of it (Attribution, Share-Alike, Non-Commercial), we decided to open a poll about which one to choose. Please vote with a simple click here:

http://doodle.com/wd4h7a7vkwd6kvey#table

Greetings
Ben

On 1 November 2012 14:40, Benjamin Kampmann <b...@opentechschool.org> wrote:
Hi,

I agree that Attribution-ShareAlike is probably the most suited. Also given the fact that we've been approached by other companies that do training professionally and are interested to review and ultimately release their material with us. Having a licence as non-commercials, especially as vague as that one, limits us and our possibilities imho.

Greets
bn

On 1 November 2012 14:30, Kristian Rother <kro...@rubor.de> wrote:

Hi,

for me the licensing issue is crucial: I'm conducting commercial trainings on a regular basis. Any license that excludes commercial use would force me to keep OTS materials separate from my pile of favorite exercises.

So whenever I spend time on improving Python material, I'd have to decide whether to support my own business or OTS. Guess how you would react before long in that situation.

Therefore I think the CC-share-alike license is essential.

Best regards,
     Kristian

Am 01/11/2012 12:26, schrieb Martin Stadler:
Hi!

This morning we were discussing about how to license OpenTechSchool learning material. I think this should be an open discussion and a transparent decision so would be great to get some opinions. Here are some thoughts we had:

 * Creative Commons is probably the way to go

 * Commercial or non-commercial? If we go for a license that allows commercial use, we need to make sure that every author or contributor is aware of that. Some people might not like the idea that others can make money with their work.

 * Maybe establish the rule that every official OTS material (defined by being in our Github?) has to have this license, taken care of by everyone with commit rights.

 * Do we even need to touch topics like CLAs?

 * Solution must be simple in the spirit of OTS making it easy for everyone to get involved.

Looking forward to a constructive discussion.
Martin

name    : Dr. Kristian Rother
profile : science trainer
e-mail  : kro...@academis.eu