Android Workshop / Tools and Software

Tobias Preuss

Feb 13, 2013, 6:25:50 PM2/13/13
to coaches...@opentechschool.org
By now I have downloaded the following ...

├── Eclipse IDE
│   ├── adt-bundle-linux-x86_64.zip
│   └── adt-bundle-linux-x86.zip
└── Java JDK 1.6
    ├── jdk-6u39-linux-i586.bin
    ├── jdk-6u39-linux-i586-rpm.bin
    ├── jdk-6u39-linux-x64.bin
    ├── jdk-6u39-linux-x64-rpm.bin
    ├── jdk-6u39-windows-i586.exe
    └── jdk-6u39-windows-x64.exe

Please add the stuff you prepared or what you thing we will need in terms of slow Internet connections.

Abe Pazos

Feb 14, 2013, 1:35:53 PM2/14/13
to coaches...@opentechschool.org
I can only think of adding the tutorial itself to those files. Maybe the first 10 pages or so just in case.

I've been doing the "Building your first app" and already had a few troubles :)

It got messed up because I had another Eclipse installed, with some PATH variables I had to delete. I had to delete the new unzipped ADT Bundle and unpack it again to have it working. So maybe keep an eye on the PATH env variable.

The app would not run if I clicked the small triangle next to play and chose "Run as... Android" (it does not complain). I had to click the play button directly, not the small triangle. (I tell this in case it happens to people there).

Then, following the tutorial, it tells you to add a String to the Strings.xml. I copied "edit_message" from the web page and pasted (CTRL+V) it in the string box in Eclipse. Nothing happened. I hit CTRL+V many times. Since it didn't work, I typed the string. Later it was giving an error because it had pasted "edit_message" several times in front of <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>, so it was no longer valid XML. Surprising that this happens.

Funny that a tutorial for beginners says "In order to improve the layout efficiency when you specify the weight, you should change the width of the EditText to be zero (0dp). Setting the width to zero improves layout performance because using "wrap_content" as the width requires the system to calculate a width that is ultimately irrelevant because the weight value requires another width calculation to fill the remaining space."

See you!

aBe

Volker Leck

Feb 15, 2013, 5:21:03 AM2/15/13
to coaches...@opentechschool.org
May be we should also ensure that ant (Version1.8.x) is installed, such that the ant management functionality can be used.

C U all on saturday.
Volker

P.S.: We should show up at 9 a.m. already, right?

Dirk Jäckel

Feb 15, 2013, 5:23:24 AM2/15/13
to coaches...@opentechschool.org, Volker Leck
Hi!

9:30am Should be early enough. I don't want to be there earlier and it seems I have the keys.

Gruss,
Dirk

Tobias Preuss

Feb 15, 2013, 10:44:34 AM2/15/13
to coaches...@opentechschool.org
Update ...
I guess we do not need a bundle for MacOSX 32bit :-)

├── Eclipse IDE
│   ├── adt-bundle-linux-x86_64.zip
│   └── adt-bundle-linux-x86.zip
│   └── adt-bundle-mac-x86_64.zip
│   └── adt-bundle-windows-x86.zip
│   └── adt-bundle-windows-x86_64.zip
└── Java JDK 1.6
    ├── jdk-6u39-linux-i586.bin
    ├── jdk-6u39-linux-i586-rpm.bin
    ├── jdk-6u39-linux-x64.bin
    ├── jdk-6u39-linux-x64-rpm.bin
    ├── jdk-6u39-windows-i586.exe
    └── jdk-6u39-windows-x64.exe

Tobias Preuss

Feb 15, 2013, 11:58:17 AM2/15/13
to coaches.android
Further, I downloaded the SDK on all major operation systems.
In case somebody wants to copy the whole package which is almost 7GB ... maybe someone can bring a mobile harddisc. I do not owe a USB stick at this size.