UML Modelling question

Martin Skorupski

Jan 27, 2022, 8:06:47 AM1/27/22
to IISOMI (Informal Inter-SDO Open Model Initiative), informatio...@opennetworking.org, wireless-...@opennetworking.org
Dear IISOMI :)

we - the ONF OTCC 5G-xHaul group - have the "use case" to reference from an ObjectClass a specific attribute(!) of another ObjectClass, which is by itself a reference to the next ObjectClass.

Example:

[ClassAA] -> [ClassBB]
So in ClassAA there is an attribute of "classBB" with type ClassBB.
Now, we would like to configure in another ClassCC an attribute called  "pointerToClassBBbyClassAA" - which points to the attribute ClassAA::classBB of type "ClassBB".

I'm looking into UML specifications and UML Modelling Guidelines.

1. Is my understanding correct that UML is not designed to reference a specific attribute but "only" ObjectClasses, DataTypes, ....?
2. If yes, (and I still hope the answer to question #1 is no :) ) - could/should the "Reference Stereotype" be used for such case.
3. an other option might by to add an association from ClassCC to ClassBB and constrain it with the values given in attribute ClassAA::classBB

Any suggestions how to handle the situation in Papyrus UML following IISOMI guidelines?

@Nigel: Not sure, if there is some room on the agenda tomorrow for this such topic?

Thanks,
Martin

Davis, Nigel schrieb am Freitag, 7. Januar 2022 um 11:02:18 UTC+1:

Hi,

This is a reminder for the IISOMI call today 7 January  6:00 – 7:00 AM PST, 09:00 – 10:00 AM EST, 15:00 – 16:00 CET

Please see Agenda

https://wiki.opennetworking.org/display/OIMT/2022-01-07+IISOMI+Meeting+notes

Please see meeting details

ISOMI (Infrastructure, Mapping, Tooling)

Happy new year!

Nigel