ONF Wiki Attack - ONOS Wiki Restored

Michelle Roth

Nov 22, 2023, 4:30:06 PM11/22/23
to Michelle Roth, sup...@opennetworking.org

ONF Community,

As we shared on November 7th, all the ONF’s wiki sites were forced offline as a result of a ransomware attack. This was a coordinated attack using what appears to have been a new vulnerability in the Confluence tools, and it has forced down the following sites:

wiki.onosproject.org

wiki.opennetworking.org

wiki.opencord.org

Unfortunately, we have been impacted by 3 simultaneous failures, which has severely impacted our ability to rapidly recover from this event. In addition to the ransomware attack, we had a gap in the automated backup systems that left us without current backups of the wikis.  Additionally, we have had a family emergency in our infra team that left us in a dead stop in the middle of the restoration for a number of days.

ONOS wiki:

As of now, we have restored the ONOS wiki to a June 2022 version. Since this site has largely been static for the last 18 months, we believe this content is current. Please let us know if you are aware of gaps, and please help us by contributing content to bring back any lost content if any gaps are discovered.

ONF wiki:

We are actively working on restoring the ONF wiki to an older version. This is taking much longer than we would like because of the overlapping trio of failures we have experienced. We sincerely apologize, but want the community to know that we remain committed to getting this content back online.

CORD wiki:

We have no plan to restore the CORD wiki. This site was already archived and largely historic. All the CORD work has previously migrated to either the VOLTHA or the Aether projects over the last 5 years. Current documentation for both of these projects can be found here:

https://docs.aetherproject.org/master/index.html

https://docs.voltha.org/master/index.html

Again, our apologies for the impact this is having. We recognize that our performance here is far below what the community deserves - and we will be taking corrective action to do better in the future.

Sincerely,

ONF Team