[stratum-dev] Questions about OVS, FPM, and supported hardware

1 view

A Sydney

Jan 29, 2021, 10:03:43 AM1/29/21
to strat...@lists.stratumproject.org
Hi Stratum guys,
                          I'm not sure of the right forum to ask these questions, so it would be great if you could provide suggestions (I did ping a few contacts listed on the repo, but no replies as yet, so I'm posting it here). Can you kindly provide feedback to the following:

1. From the documentation on your github repo (in addition to tutorials and presentations), it appears that the BMv2 is the virtual switch supported. Does Stratum also support OVS (Or any other production grade virtual switch?)? If not, is this on the roadmap?

2. From Brian's presentation in 2019 (https://youtu.be/I83VdrZtkyM), he mentioned that the Stratum FPM compiler does not support MPLS and QinQ. Can you kindly share documentation about what all is supported?

3.  Is support for Broadcom's D7264 on the roadmap?

Thanks!
-Syd

Brian O'Connor

Jan 29, 2021, 2:39:02 PM1/29/21
to A Sydney, strat...@lists.stratumproject.org
Hi Syd,

Thanks for your questions! I've provided some answers inline.

Brian

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 10:04 AM A Sydney via stratum-dev <strat...@lists.stratumproject.org> wrote:
Hi Stratum guys,
                          I'm not sure of the right forum to ask these questions, so it would be great if you could provide suggestions (I did ping a few contacts listed on the repo, but no replies as yet, so I'm posting it here). Can you kindly provide feedback to the following:

1. From the documentation on your github repo (in addition to tutorials and presentations), it appears that the BMv2 is the virtual switch supported. Does Stratum also support OVS (Or any other production grade virtual switch?)? If not, is this on the roadmap?

Stratum does not support OVS or any production grade software switch for now. We have some community members that have been looking into this, and there are a few promising options. Support for a production grade switch is not on the official roadmap at this point, but we would certainly welcome a community contribution in this area!

2. From Brian's presentation in 2019 (https://youtu.be/I83VdrZtkyM), he mentioned that the Stratum FPM compiler does not support MPLS and QinQ. Can you kindly share documentation about what all is supported?

Sorry that this isn't spelled out in a README. The FPM compiler only applies to the Broadcom target. For bmv2 and Tofino, you can use MPLS, QinQ, and everything else that you can express in P4 and compile using the bmv2 and Tofino compilers.

Here is a list of the supported pipeline stages for Broadcom:

Here is a list of the supported tables and entry types for Broadcom:

If you need a new features to FPM, I would highly recommend this talk:
P4 on FPM Switches with StratumMax Pudelko (ONF)SlidesVideo

3.  Is support for Broadcom's D7264 on the roadmap?

 Are you referring to the Inventec D7264 switch? If so, you'd have to check with Inventec for specifics, but they might be working on it.

It's a Broadcom Tomahawk 2 switch that should be supported by the Stratum OpenNSA target.

Thanks!
-Syd