[stratum-dev] Possible issue with stratum_bmv2/ONOS hostdiscovery

1 view

A Sydney

May 26, 2021, 1:32:53 PM5/26/21
to strat...@lists.stratumproject.org
Hi Stratum folks,
                          I came across this intermittent issue:

I'm running standalone bmv2 instances and I've installed rules to clone all ARP traffic to the ONOS controller. When the ARP packet gets to the controller (i.e. pinging between hosts), an ONOS app listening for new hosts installs flow rules. However, I've seen the following situations:

1. An ARP request hits the switch and it is cloned to the controller (i.e. as logged from the switch). The host is automatically discovered by ONOS and flow rules installed.

2. An ARP request hits the switch, and is cloned to the controller, but flow rules are not installed immediately. I have observed that it can take from 30s to 4 minutes for the host to be discovered by ONOS. I have also observed situations where the host was not discovered > 7 or so minutes.

Any thoughts?

PS. I've also got the lldpprovider app running, and links are discovered immediately and this behavior is always consistent (so the issue may not be with packet-ins/outs?).

Thanks,
-Syd