SD-RAN 1.3 Released

Saurav Das

Oct 30, 2021, 2:42:35 AM10/30/21
to SD-RAN-Dev, sdran-a...@opennetworking.org
Hi all,

Today we released SD-RAN 1.3 with updated versions of our micro-ONOS based nRT-RIC, xApp-SDKs, new xApps, whitebox LTE CU/DU/RU solution, and sdRan-in-a-Box (RiaB).

The highlights of this release include two new use case implementations - xApp based Mobile Handovers and RAN Slice Management - as well as the ability to run multiple instances of the E2T microservice for HA and horizontal scalability.
As before, we also continue to upgrade the RIC platform to the latest O-RAN specifications  -  this release includes E2 AP 2.0 support while maintaining support for the previous version 1.01.
A helpful listing of the use-cases, xApps, SMs and their support in this release on various platforms is shown below

Use Case

Service Model (developed by)

xApp(s)

RANSim

LTE whitebox CU/DU

Radisys 5G CU/DU

KPI Monitoring

KPM v2.0.3 (O-RAN)

onos-kpimon, fb-kpimon, fb-ah

supported on E2AP 2.0

supported on E2AP 1.01

supported on E2AP 1.01

PCI Conflict Resolution

RC-PRE v2 (ONF/FB/AirHop/Radisys)

onos-pci, fb-ah

supported on E2AP 2.0

supported on E2AP 1.01

Mobility Load Balancing (MLB)

RC-PRE v2 (ONF/FB/AirHop/Radisys)

onos-mlb, fb-ah

supported on E2AP 2.0

supported on E2AP 1.01

Mobile Handover (MHO)

MHO v1 (ONF/FB/Intel)

onos-mho

supported on E2AP 2.0

RAN Slice Management

RSM v1 (ONF)

onos-rsm

supported on E2AP 1.01

Read more about it in the release notes on the SD-RAN documentation site.
If you do not have access to the site, please contact us for the username/password for your organization (ONF Members)

We will discuss this release in more detail at the SD-RAN Community call on November 18th, which as we have mentioned before is open to all, regardless of ONF membership

Thanks
- ONF Team

JING ZHAO

Nov 1, 2021, 4:45:04 AM11/1/21
to SD-RAN-Dev, saura...@opennetworking.org, sdran-a...@opennetworking.org
Dear ONF Team:
     Regarding to  E2AP 2.0, I can only find the latest E2AP spec version is v1.01(O-RAN.WG3.E2AP-v01.01.docx) from  O-RAN ALLIANCE Specifications — O-RAN ALLIANCE. Where can I download E2AP 2.0?
     Many thanks!
Jing

Saurav Das

Nov 1, 2021, 2:21:14 PM11/1/21
to JING ZHAO, sdran-a...@opennetworking.org

JING ZHAO

Nov 2, 2021, 4:04:24 AM11/2/21
to SD-RAN-Dev, saura...@opennetworking.org, sdran-a...@opennetworking.org, JING ZHAO
Dear ONF team,
   Many thanks for your clarification.
Another question is how to get the source code for release 1.3, I can not find rel-1.3 branch from onosproject/sdran-helm-charts: Helm charts for SD-RAN (github.com). Which branch shall I pick up?
Thanks!
Jing

Saurav Das

Nov 2, 2021, 2:07:08 PM11/2/21
to JING ZHAO, sdran-a...@opennetworking.org
Hi Jing,

We branch when we need to (lazy branching).

Thanks
Saurav

JING ZHAO

Nov 4, 2021, 1:23:34 PM11/4/21
to SD-RAN-Dev, saura...@opennetworking.org, sdran-a...@opennetworking.org, JING ZHAO
Dear ONF team,
Thanks for your timely reply. One more question regarding to release 1.3:
Does release 1.3 support following functions defined in <O-RAN.WG3.RICARCH-v02.00>?

6.2.4   Messaging Infrastructure(fully support?)

6.2.5   Security (Seems not support?)

6.2.6   Management Services:

6.2.6.1  Life-Cycle Management of xApp:

"- Resource management (RM): It does comprehensive resource provisioning/control for xApps on Near-RT RIC as well as monitors their latency and resource consumption characteristics to see if individual xApps meet their latency requirements. It may trigger alarm event when they miss the critical latency requirements.

- Termination of xApps: It terminates a running xApp if the xApp is no longer needed. The resource used by the xApp will be released."

---------Is above requirement supported? If yes, in which component?

6.2.6.2  FCAPS Management of Near-RT RIC(Seems not support?)

6.2.7.3  O1 Termination(Seems not support?)

7.6    SDL APIs(Seems not support?)

 Many thanks!

Jing