Query about sdran release 1.2

JING ZHAO

Oct 28, 2021, 2:27:30 AM10/28/21
to SD-RAN-Dev

Hi community,

    Regarding to sdran release 1.2(https://docs.sd-ran.org/master/release_notes/sdran_1.2.html) , several more questions to query:

1)     Can Release 1.2 fully support E2 interface definition in ORAN standard? If not, what is the gap?

2)     In repo onos-e2t, I can see code for both “E2AP over ASN.1/SCTP” and “E2AP over ASN.1/gRPC”. Are they both supported? “E2AP over ASN.1/gRPC” for Ran-simulator(Since only see  gPRC related code no sctp related code)? And  “E2AP over ASN.1/SCTP” for Real RAN?

3)     Do you have any test tools to share for testing the RIC interface?

4)   Where is source code to  develop R-NIB which is mentioned in release 1.2?

5)     How to get release 1.2 ‘s source code from github?(Actually I already have access to 57 repos under ONOS Project (github.com), however I don't know how to get the source code of release 1.2, what is the label to be checked out? )

Many thanks!

Jing

Adib Rastegarnia

Oct 31, 2021, 9:28:50 PM10/31/21
to JING ZHAO, SD-RAN-Dev
Jing,
Here some answers to your questions, I hope it helps:

1)     Can Release 1.2 fully support E2 interface definition in ORAN standard? If not, what is the gap?

> From the encoding/decoding perspective, the API is complete as far as I can tell based on E2AP 1.01 ASN.1 definition but in terms of supported procedures in E2T, E2T in release 1.2 supports E2 setup, Subscription, Subscription Delete, Control procedures. We added support for E2 connection update and Configuration update (partially) in release 1.3 but it requires the E2 node supports those functions as well at least for adding/removing new connections.

2)     In repo onos-e2t, I can see code for both “E2AP over ASN.1/SCTP” and “E2AP over ASN.1/gRPC”. Are they both supported? “E2AP over ASN.1/gRPC” for Ran-simulator(Since only see  gPRC related code no sctp related code)? And  “E2AP over ASN.1/SCTP” for Real RAN?

E2T NB gRPC API  accepts xApps requests in terms of protobuf messages (i.e. subscription, control requests) which consists of service model name, version +  ASN.1 bytes for service model specific IEs like Control header, Control message, Action Definitions, Event triggers, etc. E2T uses service model plugins to convert protobuf bytes to ASN.1 bytes and vice versa as they receive them from the xApps and E2 nodes to make communication possible between xApps and E2 nodes using E2AP. E2AP terminates at E2T and the xApps don't need to deal with forming of  E2AP messages (it is the responsibility of E2T to form E2AP messages based on given requests in NB).  In the SB, we send E2AP messages which have service model specific ASN.1 bytes over SCTP.  In ransim implementation, we also use protobuf messages for implementing E2AP and service models but again before sending them to E2T over SCTP, we use service model interfaces to convert protobuf messages to ASN.1 bytes.

3)     Do you have any test tools to share for testing the RIC interface?

Depending on what you are looking for to achieve with testing or RIC interface the answer to this question will be different. We use helmit to test our systems end to end https://docs.onosproject.org/helmit/docs/cli/. You can find some examples of E2T integration  tests  which deploy SD-RAN components such as E2T, R-NIB, ransim here https://github.com/onosproject/onos-e2t/tree/master/test/e2

4)   Where is source code to  develop R-NIB which is mentioned in release 1.2?

I answer it with question 5.

5)     How to get release 1.2 ‘s source code from github?(Actually I already have access to 57 repos under ONOS Project (github.com), however I don't know how to get the source code of release 1.2, what is the label to be checked out? )

A release is a collection of micro-services which can be deployed using sd-ran umbrella chart. Each component has a github tag which is the app version in the corresponding helm chart (i.e. docker image tag). In the SD-RAN release notes, there is a table which specifies the version for each component. So for each component you need to clone and check out the github tag for that component if you want to work on the source code of that component.

JING ZHAO

Nov 4, 2021, 7:40:31 AM11/4/21
to SD-RAN-Dev, ad...@opennetworking.org, SD-RAN-Dev, JING ZHAO
Dear sdran expert,
Many thanks to your  particular clarification. Still several more questions to query:
1) " We added support for E2 connection update and Configuration update (partially) in release 1.3 .." ----------what do you mean by "partially"?
    What functions are supported? and what functions are not?
2) Related item2 comments, what is NB? what is SB?

Thanks a lot!
Jing

Adib Rastegarnia

Nov 4, 2021, 11:29:58 AM11/4/21
to JING ZHAO, SD-RAN-Dev
On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 4:40 AM JING ZHAO <veilsn...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear sdran expert,
Many thanks to your  particular clarification. Still several more questions to query:
1) " We added support for E2 connection update and Configuration update (partially) in release 1.3 .." ----------what do you mean by "partially"?
    What functions are supported? and what functions are not?
> One of the usage of Configuration Update is to inform an E2T instance about E2node ID associated with a new connection (i.e after connection update). We use this feature for supporting clustering but E2 node can also use configuration update to send info about other interfaces that it has other core components like DU or CU. We don’t extract any of those info at runtime and make them accessible to other services and apps.
2) Related item2 comments, what is NB? what is SB?
NB refers to Northbound and SB refers to Southbound of a subsystem. For example, E2T subsystem in NB provides a gRPC API which defines the interactions between the proxy/apps/sdk and E2T. Southbound of E2T uses E2AP over SCTP to define interactions between an E2T node and E2 node

JING ZHAO

Nov 4, 2021, 9:42:39 PM11/4/21
to SD-RAN-Dev, ad...@opennetworking.org, SD-RAN-Dev, JING ZHAO
Many thanks for your clarification. One more question regarding to release 1.3:
Does release 1.3 support following functions defined in <O-RAN.WG3.RICARCH-v02.00>?

6.2.4   Messaging Infrastructure(fully support?)

6.2.5   Security (Seems not support?)

6.2.6   Management Services:

6.2.6.1  Life-Cycle Management of xApp:

"- Resource management (RM): It does comprehensive resource provisioning/control for xApps on Near-RT RIC as well as monitors their latency and resource consumption characteristics to see if individual xApps meet their latency requirements. It may trigger alarm event when they miss the critical latency requirements.

- Termination of xApps: It terminates a running xApp if the xApp is no longer needed. The resource used by the xApp will be released."

---------Is above requirement supported? If yes, in which component?

6.2.6.2  FCAPS Management of Near-RT RIC(Seems not support?)

6.2.7.3  O1 Termination(Seems not support?)

7.6    SDL APIs(Seems not support?)

 Many thanks!

Jing