Announcing the SD-Fabric 1.1 Release

Carmelo Cascone

Mar 11, 2022, 8:21:05 PM3/11/22
to sdfabr...@opennetworking.org
Hi all,

We are pleased to announce the SD-Fabric 1.1 release, our first Apache-licensed open-source release after incubating the project under the ONF Member-only license for almost a year. As a result, all code repositories, helm charts, and documentation are now available to the community regardless of ONF membership.

SD-Fabric 1.1 comes with numerous new features and improvements. The main focus for this release is full integration with Aether, ONF’s private-5G edge connectivity solution for enterprises. SD-Fabric brings the many benefits of network programmability to Aether, from a hardware-accelerated highly-available P4-UPF to fabric-wide slicing and QoS, and per-packet visibility via Inband-Network Telemetry (INT).

This release provides two UPF options: the switch-based P4-UPF, offering the highest performance, and the CPU-based BESS-UPF, tailored for deployment flexibility and horizontal scalability. Both UPFs come with numerous bug fixes as well as integration with Aether 2.0 features, such as support for 5G base stations, application filtering, QoS via multi-level rate-limiting, and enhanced visibility with per-flow metrics and INT integration.

Moreover, we provide many operational improvements such as better support for enterprise networks, simplified configuration, improved stability, and reduced resource usage.

Learn more in the release notes, and check the SD-Fabric documentation website to learn how to get started.

We hope the transition to open source will catalyze the adoption of SD-Fabric and attract more users and contributors from the community.

Thanks
— ONF Team