ONF Wiki Attack - Notice to Community

Michelle Roth

Nov 7, 2023, 4:13:22 PM11/7/23
to aether-...@opennetworking.org, ambas...@opennetworking.org, cord-d...@opennetworking.org, omec-a...@opennetworking.org, onos-a...@opennetworking.org, informatio...@opennetworking.org, Open Networking Foundation, opticalt...@opennetworking.org, p4-...@opennetworking.org, pins-a...@opennetworking.org, sdcore-...@opennetworking.org, sdfabric...@opennetworking.org, sdran-a...@opennetworking.org, seba...@opennetworking.org, smart5g-...@opennetworking.org, stratum-...@opennetworking.org, transp...@opennetworking.org, trell...@opennetworking.org, voltha-...@opennetworking.org, wireless-...@opennetworking.org

Dear ONF Community,

As of yesterday (Nov 6th), it appears that ONF’s main wiki sites have been subject to a ransomware attack. The attacker has encrypted the sites, and as a result the following sites have now been taken offline:

wiki.opennetworking.org

wiki.onosproject.org

wiki.opencord.org

The good news is that wikis are not primary collaboration platforms for ONF projects nor is project documentation generally served by the wikis (documentation is typically found at docs.<project>.org).

The bad news is that we are not expecting to be able to restore the wikis as we only have older backups. Any restored data will have lost the last year of updates, so we don’t think this would be of much value to the community.  And since we don’t believe the wiki sites have been particularly active, we are not planning to restore these dated copies of the sites.

We want to hear from you if there is wiki data or archives that you believe to be of high importance. We’re not sure that we would be able to restore items you might identify, but we’d like to identify where we have been impacted, and we may be able to help point you to alternatives or more recent sites that provide equivalent information.

Please report important lost wiki content to either:

ONF Slack #general Slack
or

sup...@opennetworking.org

Also - a possible vulnerability from this attack would be password mining.   If you tried to login to our wiki site anytime since last Friday, Nov 3, it is conceivable that you were presented with a password capture site that collected your ONF account password.

We strongly recommend that you update the password for your ONF account.

  1. Goto:  https://opennetworking.org/password-recovery/

  2. Enter your user name

  3. You will be sent a password recovery email. Follow this link to create a new password

  4. If you have trouble resetting your password, please contact sup...@opennetworking.org

We want to share our sincere apologies. We understand our collaboration tools are of significant importance to our community, and we’re very sorry to have this attack impacting our community and the important work of our projects.

Sincerely,

The ONF Team

Michelle Roth

Nov 8, 2023, 3:30:44 PM11/8/23
to Vachuska, Tom, Campanella, Andrea, sup...@opennetworking.org, aether-...@opennetworking.org, ambas...@opennetworking.org, cord-d...@opennetworking.org, omec-a...@opennetworking.org, onos-a...@opennetworking.org, informatio...@opennetworking.org, Open Networking Foundation, opticalt...@opennetworking.org, p4-...@opennetworking.org, pins-a...@opennetworking.org, sdcore-...@opennetworking.org, sdfabric...@opennetworking.org, sdran-a...@opennetworking.org, seba...@opennetworking.org, smart5g-...@opennetworking.org, stratum-...@opennetworking.org, transp...@opennetworking.org, trell...@opennetworking.org, voltha-...@opennetworking.org, wireless-...@opennetworking.org
Hi Thomas and Andrea,

Thank you for your feedback, it is very helpful. We are continuing to work on the issue, including on restoring an older back up of the ONOS wiki. We’ll keep you posted on any new updates.

Warm regards,

-Michelle

Michelle Roth
Open Networking Foundation

On Nov 8, 2023, at 12:02 PM, Vachuska, Tom <tom.va...@intel.com> wrote:

I concur with Andrea’s assessment. Majority of the content dates to several years back during the height of the ONOS (and its apps) development and even though the loss of last year of updates is unfortunate, there is still a lot to gain from reinstating the old content.

Thomas

Hi Michelle, All

I do am really sorry the wiki got attacked and that it resulted in loosing data. It's never a nice thing to happen.

I strongly object to not resurrecting the wikis, even with 1 year old content. Especially the ONOS project has all of its data and content on the wiki, not on a docs site. The wiki.onosproject.org was still the one stop shop for the large community of ONOS developers.

I would encourage you to recover the wiki pages from whatever backup you have and make a pledge to the community to re-integrate all the content that they feel has been lost.

If there is anything I can assist you in to achieve this result please let me know, but not recovering at least the wiki.onosproject.org is un-acceptable, it will mean the total end of any work done on ONOS, which is still widely used.

Thanks,
Andrea Campanella -- Intel

On 7 Nov 2023, at 16:13, Michelle Roth <mich...@opennetworking.org> wrote:

[...]

INTEL CORPORATION ITALIA S.p.A. con unico socio
Sede: Milanofiori Palazzo E 4
CAP 20094 Assago (MI)
Capitale Sociale Euro 104.000,00 interamente versato
Partita I.V.A. e Codice Fiscale  04236760155
Repertorio Economico Amministrativo n. 997124
Registro delle Imprese di Milano nr. 183983/5281/33
Soggetta ad attivita' di direzione e coordinamento di
INTEL CORPORATION, USA