OMEC 5G NSA DCNR - ISSUE REPORT

Luis Enrique Ulloa Barriga

Oct 1, 2021, 7:41:24 PM10/1/21
to aethe...@opennetworking.org, Diego Fernando Londoño Delgado, Hugo Alberto Nava Gomez, Dahyr Jose Vergara Suarez, Emerson Oswaldo Acuña Espilco, Ain Indermitte

Dears,

Currently we are facing an issue with OMEC Core, we are using the omec-control-plane-0.7.2 version and here the list of images tags using to deploy it:

tags:

    init: docker.io/omecproject/pod-init:1.0.0

    hssdb: registry.aetherproject.org/proxy/omecproject/c3po-hssdb:master-9a5f565

    hss: registry.aetherproject.org/proxy/omecproject/c3po-hss:master-9a5f565

    mme: registry.aetherproject.org/proxy/omecproject/nucleus:master-c0d9143

    spgwc: registry.aetherproject.org/omecproject/spgw:master-6aad2f2

    pcrf: registry.aetherproject.org/proxy/omecproject/c3po-pcrf:pcrf-b29af70

    pcrfdb: registry.aetherproject.org/proxy/omecproject/c3po-pcrfdb:pcrf-b29af70

    config4g: registry.aetherproject.org/omecproject/5gc-webui:onf-release3.0.5-bf0b54f

    depCheck: quay.io/stackanetes/kubernetes-entrypoint:v0.3.1

During 3x Dual connectivity Attach test we obtained a Malformed package from MME instead of Security mode command as bellow image show.

image

On Attach Request message UE sends the mandatory IEs according to standard to support 5G NSA 3x attach:

  • DCNR bit enabled on UE Network Capability
  • UE Additional security capability IE

image
image

For this Attach procedure, we tried it using differents types: EPS Only and Combined attach, but for all obtained the same malformed package as result.
After check the s1ap container logs we found that it reports an error, we think is related to the size of message, and checking the repository code we think the issue happens on some hardcoded lines in secreq_processing function that finally sends the malformed message by sctp.

image

So, please your support to check:

  1. Why this malformed package is sent by MME? Is this OMEC control plane version supporting 5G NSA?
  2. Do we need perform some additional configurations on OMEC Core?

Expected Behavior
MME should send the Security mode command message to eNodeB and it should include Replayed additional security capabilities IE.

Find attached the .pcap file (attach procedure) and logs for s1ap, s6a and mme services.

Best regards,

This email and any attachments are sent in strictest confidence for the sole use of the addressee and may contain legally privileged, confidential, and proprietary data. If you are not the intended recipient, please advise the sender by replying promptly to this email and then delete and destroy this email and any attachments without any further use, copying or forwarding.
Attach_s1ap.zip
logs.zip

Ajay Thakur

Oct 4, 2021, 11:18:34 AM10/4/21
to Luis Enrique Ulloa Barriga, aethe...@opennetworking.org, Diego Fernando Londoño Delgado, Hugo Alberto Nava Gomez, Dahyr Jose Vergara Suarez, Emerson Oswaldo Acuña Espilco, Ain Indermitte
Thanks Luis for your bug report. This omec version supports 5G NSA. We have identified a couple of issues. We are fixing the same.
Thank You for your patience. We shall revert to you as soon as possible.

Thank You
Ajay