<<< SMART Grants and More - OMF MDS Working Group Meeting - August 3rd, 2023

Craig Dittmann

Jul 28, 2023, 2:27:35 PM7/28/23
to MDS Working Group
Good Morning Matchless MDS Working Group,

Our bi-weekly MDS working group meeting is this Thursday, August 3th, at 9 am PT, 12 pm ET, and 5/6 pm CET.

Preparing for USDOT SMART Grants

Eight cities (Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, San Jose, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, and Miami-Dade County) received funding for infrastructure projects through USDOT’s Strengthening Mobility and Revolutionizing Transportation (SMART) grant program. The cities are part of a collaborative effort coordinated by the Open Mobility Foundation (OMF), aimed at tackling a common problem with similar technologies – specifically to digitally gather and analyze curb information to reduce congestion, enhance livability, and improve safety and equity on city streets. The shared, open-source Curb Data Specification (CDS) – developed by the OMF – lies at the heart of this collaborative effort.

The next Stage 1 USDOT SMART Grant Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) is expected to open in August 2023. In this kickoff meeting, we'd like to discuss how MDS can be part of your problem statement, overview and successes with the last round of applications, and tips about writing your grant application.

Agenda

Main Topics

  • Overview of SMART Grant program and OMF role
  • Presentations on lessons learned from city awardees
  • Jane Wiseman, CEO at Institute for Excellence in Government
    • Advice, lessons learned, and takeaways
    • Innovations in Government Fellow, Harvard Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation.
    • Grant writer supporting three of the OMF SMART Grant collaborative cities
  • How MDS can address your problem statements

Full Agenda

WGSC Meeting Organizers

  • Host: Craig Dittmann, San Jose DOT
  • Facilitator: Michael Schnuerle, OMF
  • Outreach: Michael Schnuerle, OMF
  • Note taker: TBD
Slides
N/A

Call details:

Every other Thursday at 9 am PT, 12 pm ET, 5/6 pm CET, unless noted otherwise

Zoom Registration and Join Link

Meeting info is reflected on the OMF public calendar and MDS Working Group pages.

We are excited to reconnect with everyone tomorrow.

Thanks,

Craig Dittmann
City of San Jose

Michael Schnuerle

Aug 9, 2023, 11:36:51 AM8/9/23
to Craig Dittmann, MDS Working Group
Hello MDS Working Group,

Thank you for attending and participating in our USDOT SMART Grant discussion around MDS.

The recording and slides are here for you to share and review.

There are action items for you as well:

  1. Read the USDOT NOFO announcement
  2. Think about your city's problem statement that can be solved using MDS (and/or CDS)
  3. Let OMF staff know of your interest in exploring an OMF Collaborative application
  4. Bonus: Fill out our EV Charging survey before Aug 16
Note that the link to the NOFO for the SMART grants is now live!

We had a similar session at our CDS meeting yesterday. Please review and share that curb recording and slides, which includes presentations from LADOT and Seattle.

Thanks,

Michael Schnuerle
Director of Open Source Operations