Re: Cities using MDS for Taxi

Alex Demisch

May 15, 2024, 12:40:27 PMMay 15
to MDS Upgrade Cohort, danny...@sfmta.com, muyi...@sfmta.com
Danny from SFMTA responded to Sheila on a separate email thread, but I'm posting his response here just so others on this list can see it:

Hi Sheila,
San Francisco currently has an MDS-like system developed that we required the taxi dispatch company data/app providers to meet in sending over trip and telemetry information.  We developed this MDS-like system a few years before MDS 2.0 was released to test out requirements to propose to OMF for MDS 2.0, to make the transition to MDS 2.0 easier by using the same groundwork we proposed, and also to accommodate our Upfront Fare Pilot program.
We are funding our own internal system costs and using our staff time to contribute to the MDS standards.  It is way more efficient for us and our data providers to conform to an industry standard, rather than for us to independently use and upgrade our own custom technical API specifications.
The drivers don’t see any cost, as their affiliated taxi dispatch company data/app providers are upgrading.  We did notice there was industry consolidation from five years ago from 6 providers to now 3 providers, with efficiency gains from such consolidation.
We do intend to move our taxis fully to MDS 2.0 possibly around July 2025, as a requirement for converting the if successful upfront fare pilot to become permanent  – since we don’t want to make changes during the pilot program’s data collection and evaluation phase.
Feel free to call if you want to have a conversation.
Danny Yeung
Acting Manager – Permits & Administration
Taxis, Access & Mobility Services Division
San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency
1 South Van Ness Avenue, 7th floor
San Francisco, CA 94103