2D Horizons in 2D View

Chuck Mosher

Mar 21, 2024, 2:58:11 PMMar 21
to OpendTect Users
Greetings - I'm a new user of OpendTect, but an experience interpreter, mostly on Landmark/Haliburton/DecisionSpace Geoscience.

I'm working on picking a set of horizons on the Penobscot set of 2D lines. Auto and manual tracking work great, and I got 6 horizons picked on the prime line in short order. When I moved to begin picking on a cross line, only 3 of the horizons I picked on the prime line showed up in the 2D viewer tree. If I track a new horizon with one of the missing names, I end up with duplicates in the tree.

What is a good practice for picking horizons in 2D ? I like the 2D viewer for this purpose, but could switch to the 3D viewer if needed. How do I get all of my 2D horizons to show up for a new line ?

Thanks,
Chuck Mosher

Friso Brouwer

Mar 21, 2024, 4:22:43 PMMar 21
to us...@opendtect.org
I do a lot of horizon interpretation in OpendTect and always in the 3D viewer. There are some tools (display only on sections, perpendicular viewing, rotate to inline/crossline view, adjust z-scale, etc) that allow you to create a '2D view' in the 3D viewer exactly to you liking, but at the same time you have the flexibility to review the horizon quickly on other lines or in full view to ensure consistency.

Your problem with horizons not showing up in a new 2D viewer may be due the horizons not being saved yet (you have to do that manually), or synchronization between multiple 2D and a single 3D viewer (this is speculation). A possible work-around is to save the session, and reload it. Make sure all interpreted elements are saved before you reload.

I hope this helps.

Friso Brouwer