Is it possible to use OpendTect with remote access?

27 weergaven
Naar het eerste ongelezen bericht

Samuel Correa

ongelezen,
21 mrt 2023, 11:28:5921-03-2023
aan us...@opendtect.org
Hi Paul, Hi everyone!

     I would like to know if is it possible for a user to use OpendTect for 3D seismic interpretation efficiently using remote access software to a physical machine, such as Teamviewer. My question stems from the fact that we have a problem with the number of users for the same machine at the institute where I work. I also point out that every time I used OpendTect to carry out my previous undergraduate and master's work, I always worked in person and used a physical machine.

     Best regards, Samuel.

Joel Scott

ongelezen,
21 mrt 2023, 14:06:3821-03-2023
aan us...@opendtect.org
Samuel,

I use Microsoft Remote Desktop for OpendTect 3D interpretation, both on an iPad and a Windows laptop PC. Two issues to consider are screen size and network latency.

Joel Scott

     I would like to know if is it possible for a user to use OpendTect for 3D seismic interpretation efficiently using remote access software to a physical machine, such as Teamviewer. My question stems from the fact that we have a problem with the number of users for the same machine at the institute where I work. I also point out that every time I used OpendTect to carry out my previous undergraduate and master's work, I always worked in person and used a physical machine.

     Best regards, Samuel.

JB West

ongelezen,
21 mrt 2023, 14:56:3821-03-2023
aan us...@opendtect.org
Look into VirtualGL (free). You get access to the GPU.

Samuel Correa

ongelezen,
21 mrt 2023, 16:27:2121-03-2023
aan us...@opendtect.org
Hi Joel,

   Thanks for your clarification. Otherwise, it seems to me that maybe my question was too generalized. Specifically, I want to know if, working at a distance, it is possible to carry out 3D seismic processing efficiently, without interruptions, in a way that the user can exploit the maximum potential of the machine, and if this process would be comparable to the same work carried out in person in a desktop. As you said, there is the issue of latency and screen size.
      I await contact.

       Kind Regards, Samuel.

Joel Scott

ongelezen,
21 mrt 2023, 16:49:2621-03-2023
aan us...@opendtect.org
Hi Samuel,

I can interpret 3d seismic from any location using my iPad to access a machine in my home office. Seismic processing should be the same if all the data is located on the machine where OpendTect resides. If you are in the same building and network as the host machine you may not notice any latency.

Joel Scott