Distributed computing

Weiping Jing

Mar 7, 2024, 6:28:34 AMMar 7
to OpendTect Users
I have tried Distributed Computing recently but failed on the first step (Setup) on windows workstations for OpendTect 6.6.10 and 7.0.3 with the error message like "connection refused or cannot connect to the remote node". Urgently need help from experienced experts. Thanks

Regards
Weiping Jing
Beijing Shiji-Kele

Mark Crawford

Mar 26, 2024, 5:06:31 AMMar 26
to us...@opendtect.org
Hi Weiping,

This seems to be the exact same question that you sent to support a short while ago.
As we explained in that email chain, the problem appears to be at the user end and
As I passed on to you earlier, the developer that designed and built the Distributed Computing functionality wrote:

There is very little we can do to assist them, this is very much linked to their network configuration, mostly the routing tables and DNS. The safest is to set all processing nodes, but also to add all client machines, to the distributed processing configuration, using static IP addresses configuration.

Normally only the processing nodes need to be listed in the configuration (let's say Node1 and Node2), but it may help to also list the client machines (let's Workstation1, Workstation2, ...) in this situation.

The configuration file should be copied or made readable from all nodes and client machines. That can be done by setting the environment variable DTECT_BATCH_HOSTS_FILEPATH to the full path of the configuration file, especially before launching the remote processing daemon on the processing nodes.

As we said before, we feel that these network configuration issues need to be first understood and resolved before trying the distributed processing again.

Sorry that we can't really do much more than this.

Kind regards,
Mark

Mark Crawford
Support Manager

dGB Earth Sciences
Phone:+31 53 4315155
E-mail:mark.c...@dgbes.com
Internet:dgbes.com

Sadaqat Ali

Mar 26, 2024, 7:52:31 AMMar 26
to us...@opendtect.org
We use distributed computing all the time, no issues setting it up if network issues don’t hinder. Opendtect excels in distributed computing ease of configuration .

Sadaqat