Convolve Attribute

Andy Hooi

May 22, 2024, 2:17:56 AMMay 22
to OpendTect Users
Dear All,

I  plan to do seismic data conditioning using Convolve attribute. There are 4 filter available e.g. low pass smoothing filter,  Laplacian filter,  Prewitt filter and Wavelet filter.
Is it possible to use the wavelet filter the create a deconvolution filter to remove ringing noise?

Thank you

Paul de Groot

May 22, 2024, 3:10:01 AMMay 22
to us...@opendtect.org
Hi Andy,

In theory you can but as I never tried this myself, I do not know how good this is in practice. Here is the workflow I would try:
  1. Extract a wavelet from the seismic data (Wavelet manager)
  2. Create a synthetic wavelet with the desired bandwidth and shape (Wavelet manager, bandpass or Ricker)
  3. Use the "Match Wavelets" utility in the Wavelet manager to create an operator that transforms your input wavelet into the desired target wavelet
  4. Apply the derived operator with the Convolve attribute.
If the result is not satisfying try tapering the operator before applying it.

Good luck and best regards,

Paul.

--
Paul de Groot