BaseMaps and interpretation mode

Maria Eulália Alberton

Dec 13, 2023, 1:31:01 PM12/13/23
to OpendTect Users
Dear users,

I'd like to know if there's a way to upload geotiff maps in OpendTect and I have another question about the interpretation mode in the 2D Viewer. When I activate the tool, I can't trace a horizon as a line for example , I only can create rectangles.  How can I mark a reflector with a line? What am I doing wrong? And after I trace it, is it possible to export the line as shp and open it in a GIS software for example?

Thank you so much for your attention
Best Regards
Maria Eulália Alberton

Mark Crawford

Dec 14, 2023, 4:34:22 AM12/14/23
to us...@opendtect.org
Hi Maria,

OpendTect doesn't support the import of Geotiff maps, but it does support Geotiff export.
This functionality is part of Wayne Mogg's WMPlugins bundle (available as a free 3rd-party plugin bundle via the normal OpendTect installer for both the free version and for Pro).
Once installed, it can be accessed via: Survey-> Export-> Geotiff export...
OpendTect Pro (but not the free version) does support the import of Shapefiles via (but not their export): Survey-> Import-> Shapefile...

The WMPlugins bundle also contains the Geopackage Export (of which Geotiff export is a part).
This package is specifically designed to offer export of data in a format compatible with QGIS.

As for your 2D Viewer question:
Can you share a screenshot of the full 2D viewer showing what you mean by 'rectangles'?
And also let us know the exact steps you're using to get to where you are.
Please also let us know the exact OpendTect version number and if you're using the Free or the Pro version (ie: Pro 7.0.1, or Free 6.6.10)

Thanks!

Kind regards,
Mark
---
Mark Crawford
Support Manager

dGB Earth Sciences
Phone:+31 53 43 15 155
E-mail:mark.c...@dgbes.com
Internet:dgbes.com

Paul de Groot

Dec 14, 2023, 4:57:23 AM12/14/23
to us...@opendtect.org
Hi Maria,

To add to Mark's response, you can import images (jpg, png) from a GIS software to serve as a reference map. The import is done by right-clicking on the Scene entry in the tree. You can add two images, one top and one base. Both can be positioned at any Z-slice position. When you use this feature, you must ensure that the X,Y positions of the image exported from the GIS software, exactly match the X,Y positions of the Survey box defined in OpendTect. Below is an example of a map, I extracted from QGIS and used as a reference map in OpendTect.

Best regards,

Paul.

image.png
--
Paul de Groot
Geoscience Manager

GoFundMe Campaign
dGB Earth Sciences
Phone:+31 53 4315155
E-mail:paul.d...@dgbes.com
Internet:dgbes.com

Carlos Francisco Miranda

Dec 14, 2023, 7:06:50 AM12/14/23
to us...@opendtect.org
Dear Paul

Goid morning

A question about pick for a seismic traces item

If possible to get that with opendtect software??

Best regards

Carlos Miranda Geo Analytics

Paul de Groot

Dec 14, 2023, 7:12:18 AM12/14/23
to us...@opendtect.org
Hi Carlos,

I'm sorry but I do not understand the question. Can you please rephrase?

Best regards,

Paul.

--
Paul de Groot
Geoscience Manager

GoFundMe Campaign
dGB Earth Sciences
Phone:+31 53 4315155
E-mail:paul.d...@dgbes.com
Internet:dgbes.com

Carlos Francisco Miranda

Dec 14, 2023, 9:02:37 AM12/14/23
to us...@opendtect.org
Dear sir

Greetings again

I need processing data seg y like this software

Extract

SeisImager/2D refraction software is a fully integrated refraction modeling and interpretation software package that runs on your Geometrics seismograph or PC. Before you leave for the field, determine the best way to configure your survey by drawing a geologic cross-section of the site and performing a simulated survey with sophisticated modeling software. Change the model so you can see what targets are detectable. Identify first breaks quickly with an accurate automatic picker, with manual override. Clean up noisy data with comprehensive filtering and view all your prior picks simultaneously for shot-to-shot coherence. QC your data before analysis to ensure that your answer will be the most accurate. Display differences between travel time curves to distinguish layering and refractor topography. Automatically resolve reciprocal time conflicts that cause inaccuracies in depth estimation. Choose from three methods of analysis to best suit the geologic conditions. Take a quick look with a 2 or 3-layer time-term analysis. If you prefer traditional methods, use the delay-time (reciprocal) method and view the process step-by-step. If you expect lateral velocity variations, use the optimized tomographic analysis that runs quickly and accurately. A field (Lite) version of SeisImager/2D comes free with all Geometrics Windows-based seismographs.

Kind regards

Carlos

Maria Eulália Alberton

Dec 14, 2023, 9:57:27 AM12/14/23
to us...@opendtect.org
Dear Mark,

Thank you so much for your guidance. In the 2D viewer , I'm selecting the edit mode, but I can't trace a continuous line to delimit the reflector for example, I don't  know if I need to use a specific keyboard command or something related. As  I can't draw the lines , I can only draw rectangles using the rectangle selection mode , but this is not what I need to do. I'm using OpendTect Free V.6.4.4. As requested , I'm sending the screenshot.

Thank you so much for our attention,
Best Regards,
Maria Eulália Alberton
image.png

Maria Eulália Alberton

Dec 14, 2023, 9:57:34 AM12/14/23
to us...@opendtect.org
Dear Paul,

Thank you so much for the guidance. I'd like to ask another question if it's possible. Can I draw a feature n the 2D viewer and visualize it spatially in the projector using a png image as basemap for example , to identify where exactly this feature is located? Is there a way to visualize it?

Thank you so much for your attention,
Best Regards,
Maria Eulália Alberton

Paul de Groot

Dec 14, 2023, 10:00:34 AM12/14/23
to us...@opendtect.org
Hi Carlos,

OpendTect is not a seismic processing package but an interpretation package. We do have some processing capabilities in our VMB plugin but this is limited to first break picking and velocity picking. I recommend looking for another processing package. If you are looking for an open source solution, you can either go for Seismic Unix or Madagascar.

Best regards,

Paul.

--
Paul de Groot
Geoscience Manager

GoFundMe Campaign
dGB Earth Sciences
Phone:+31 53 4315155
E-mail:paul.d...@dgbes.com
Internet:dgbes.com

Paul de Groot

Dec 14, 2023, 10:16:48 AM12/14/23
to us...@opendtect.org
Hi Maria,

The answer is yes, you can. In a 2D viewer, you can map horizons and faults. In the 3D scene, you have many more options for interpreting all kinds of objects. Everything you map will be visible in the basemap (Pro version) or can be viewed from above in mapview (community version and Pro version).

Regarding your question to Mark: You use the selection tool to draw a rectangle whereas you want to interpret a horizon. Please have a look at the free self-study course to learn how to interpret horizons in the 3D scene (preferred) or using 2D viewers.

Best regards,

Paul.

--
Paul de Groot
Geoscience Manager

Carlos Francisco Miranda

Dec 15, 2023, 3:09:15 AM12/15/23
to us...@opendtect.org
Dear Paul

Thanks so much for your answer

Sorry my english

Carlos

Maria Eulália Alberton

Dec 15, 2023, 1:06:23 PM12/15/23
to us...@opendtect.org
Dear Paul,

I'd like to ask if  there is a way to do it in a Free Version or if it's possible only in a Pro Version.  Moreover, I'd like to know if I can export a mapped horizon as a shp, I couldn't find it in the instructions.

Thank you so much for your attention and availability,
Best Regards,
Maria Eulália Alberton

Não contém vírus.www.avast.com

Paul de Groot

Dec 15, 2023, 1:38:45 PM12/15/23
to us...@opendtect.org
Hi Maria,

You cannot export horizons as shp files, but you can export them as GeoTiff or as GeoPackage for importing into a GIS package. Both export options are supported in Wayne Mogg's free extensions to the free version. Wayne's free extensions are shipped with the software and will be installed automatically.

Best regards,

Paul.

--
Paul de Groot
Geoscience Manager

GoFundMe Campaign
dGB Earth Sciences
Phone:+31 53 4315155
E-mail:paul.d...@dgbes.com
Internet:dgbes.com

Maria Eulália Alberton

Feb 8, 2024, 7:26:21 AMFeb 8
to us...@opendtect.org
Dear Paul,
This link you sent me is unfortunately broken, and I couldn't find a video or a manual with specific instructions about the horizons interpretation. Could you please send me the link again?
Thank you so much for you attention and availability
Best Regards,
Maria Eulália Alberton

Mark Crawford

Feb 8, 2024, 10:09:16 AMFeb 8
to us...@opendtect.org
Hi Maria,

Please try this link to the Training Manual topic and let us know if it works for you: https://doc.opendtect.org/7.0.0/doc/HTML_TM/Default.htm#tm7/pt1_free/seismic_interpretation/horizon_tracking.htm

Kind regards,
Mark
---
Mark Crawford
Support Manager

dGB Earth Sciences
Phone:+31 53 43 15 155
E-mail:mark.c...@dgbes.com
Internet:dgbes.com

Maria Eulália Alberton

Feb 9, 2024, 6:46:45 AMFeb 9
to us...@opendtect.org
Dear Mark,
This link is working fine, thank you very much
Best regards,
Maria Eulália Alberton

Mark Crawford

Feb 9, 2024, 7:04:28 AMFeb 9