log4j in the hyrax image

Ashkar, Jihad S. (GSFC-619.0)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS AND APPLICATIONS INC]

Dec 27, 2021, 3:24:42 PM12/27/21
to OPeNDAP Support

Hi,

Is there a reason why log4j is installed in the hyrax images?

docker run -it --entrypoint /bin/sh opendap/hyrax:1.16.4 -c 'rpm -qa | grep log4j'

log4j-1.2.17-16.el7_4.noarch

If it’s not used by hyrax, can it be removed from the image?

Thanks,

Jihad Ashkar

James Gallagher

Dec 28, 2021, 11:32:14 AM12/28/21
to Ashkar, Jihad S. (GSFC-619.0)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS AND APPLICATIONS INC], Potter Nathan, Gallagher James, OPeNDAP Support
That copy of log4j is part of tomcat and it’s a version 1.2.x copy of the library that, according to multiple sources, is not vulnerable  to the security issue that some of the version 2.x copies of the library are.

I can get you more information if you need it.

James

Thanks,
Jihad Ashkar

James Gallagher

signature.asc

Ashkar, Jihad S. (GSFC-619.0)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS AND APPLICATIONS INC]

Dec 28, 2021, 11:41:36 AM12/28/21
to James Gallagher, Potter, Nathan (GSFC-4230)[OPENDAP, INC.], OPeNDAP Support

Ok. Thanks!

Jihad

Nathan Potter

Jan 10, 2022, 11:38:37 AM1/10/22
to Ashkar, Jihad S. (GSFC-619.0)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS AND APPLICATIONS INC], Nathan Potter, OPeNDAP Support
Hi Jihad,

It's not clear to me if you received a response, if not I apologize.

The docker container that we use to deploy the Hyrax application is based on CentOS-7.latest running Tomcat version 7.0.76 release 16.el7_9 installed from rpm using yum. Tomcat is a java application and includes (via an rpm dependency) the Log4j-1.2.17 library, installed from rpm.

As of 12:55 ET 12/17/2021 the Mitigation section of the Apache Log4j website’s security page here: https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/security.html

States that:
> Log4j 1.x mitigation: Log4j 1.x is not impacted by this vulnerability.

If you have a look at our DockerHub you can see that the Snyk tool has stated that the Log4j issue does not affect Hyrax-1.16.4:

https://hub.docker.com/layers/opendap/hyrax/1.16.4/images/sha256-c22ab8fb7c0a7191cbe4d8b3c548cc7ba9bf487c88c6019a8e81488bab07cdb0?context=explore

We have just released 1.16.5. You can read about the release here:

https://www.opendap.org/software/hyrax/1.16

And 1.16.5 is also available on DockerHub.

I hope that this addresses your concerns.

Sincerely,

Nathan
= = =
Nathan Potter ndp at opendap.org