OpenDap 1.9.7 Symbolic Link Configuration

castronov...@gmail.com

May 11, 2015, 7:00:45 PM5/11/15
to ope...@opendap.org
I am having trouble configuring my OpenDap server to follow symbolic links that point to my data.  I have followed these instructions http://docs.opendap.org/index.php/Hyrax_-_BES_Configuration#Symbolic_Links

The following is set in the bes.conf file:
BES.FollowSymLinks=No|Yes

And this one is set in the dap.conf file in the modules directory:

BES.Catalog.catalog.FollowSymLinks=No|Yes

However when I restart BES and navigate to my OpenDap address, the data do not show in the catalog.  When I try to navigate to their parent folder, I get the following error in bes.log:

<response reqID="[load-metadata-:105:bes_request]" xmlns="http://xml.opendap.org/ns/bes/1.0#">
<BES>
  <BESError>
    <Type>5</Type>
      <Message>Unable to access node /data/nc/NC_Data/contents: No such file or directory</Message
      <Administrator>admin.ema...@your.domain.name</Administrator>
  </BESError>
</BES>
</response>

I am running OpenDap Hyrax 1.9.7 on CentOS 6.4.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tony

Nathan Potter

May 11, 2015, 10:39:53 PM5/11/15
to castronov...@gmail.com, Nathan Potter, ope...@opendap.org

Anthony,

I think you may have misread the documentation. The "|" character is an abbreviation for the logical OR so "No|Yes" means "No" OR "Yes".

More below..

On May 11, 2015, at 12:37 PM, castronov...@gmail.com wrote:

> I am having trouble configuring my OpenDap server to follow symbolic links that point to my data. I have followed these instructions http://docs.opendap.org/index.php/Hyrax_-_BES_Configuration#Symbolic_Links:
>
> The following is set in the bes.conf file:
> BES.FollowSymLinks=No|Yes

I think you need to have this:

BES.FollowSymLinks=Yes

To enable following symbolic links.

This:

BES.FollowSymLinks=No

Disables symbolic links.

Hopefully that will help.

Nathan

> And this one is set in the dap.conf file in the modules directory:
> BES.Catalog.catalog.FollowSymLinks=No|Yes
>
> However when I restart BES and navigate to my OpenDap address, the data do not show in the catalog. When I try to navigate to their parent folder, I get the following error in bes.log:
>

> <response reqID="[load-metadata-:105:bes_request]" xmlns="http://xml.opendap.org/ns/bes/1.0#">
> <BES>
> <BESError>
> <Type>5</Type>
> <Message>Unable to access node /data/nc/NC_Data/contents: No such file or directory</Message
> <Administrator>admin.ema...@your.domain.name</Administrator>
> </BESError>
> </BES>
> </response>
>
> I am running OpenDap Hyrax 1.9.7 on CentOS 6.4. Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Tony
>
> --

= = =
Nathan Potter ndp at opendap.org
OPeNDAP, Inc. +1.541.231.3317

castronov...@gmail.com

May 12, 2015, 11:36:34 AM5/12/15
to ope...@opendap.org, castronov...@gmail.com
Nathan,

I think my original post may have been unclear.  I followed the instructions in the OpenDap/Hyrax setup guide to turn on Symlinking.  My dap.conf and bes.conf have the following lines, respectively:

BES.FollowSymLinks=Yes
BES.Catalog.catalog.FollowSymLinks=Yes

This setup produces the following error in my bed.log:

<response reqID="[load-metadata-:105:bes_request]" xmlns="http://xml.opendap.org/ns/bes/1.0#">
<BES>
  <BESError>
    <Type>5</Type>
      <Message>Unable to access node /data/nc/NC_Data/contents: No such file or directory</Message
      <Administrator>admin.email.add...@your.domain.name</Administrator>
  </BESError>
</BES>
</response>

On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 8:39:53 PM UTC-6, Nathan Potter wrote:

Anthony,

I think you may have misread the documentation. The "|" character is an abbreviation for the logical OR so "No|Yes" means "No" OR "Yes".

More below..

On May 11, 2015, at 12:37 PM, castronov...@gmail.com wrote:

> I am having trouble configuring my OpenDap server to follow symbolic links that point to my data.  I have followed these instructions http://docs.opendap.org/index.php/Hyrax_-_BES_Configuration#Symbolic_Links:
>
> The following is set in the bes.conf file:
> BES.FollowSymLinks=No|Yes

I think you need to have this:

   BES.FollowSymLinks=Yes

To enable following symbolic links.

This:

   BES.FollowSymLinks=No

Disables symbolic links.

Hopefully that will help.

Nathan

> And this one is set in the dap.conf file in the modules directory:
> BES.Catalog.catalog.FollowSymLinks=No|Yes
>
> However when I restart BES and navigate to my OpenDap address, the data do not show in the catalog.  When I try to navigate to their parent folder, I get the following error in bes.log:
>

> <response reqID="[load-metadata-:105:bes_request]" xmlns="http://xml.opendap.org/ns/bes/1.0#">
> <BES>
>   <BESError>
>     <Type>5</Type>
>       <Message>Unable to access node /data/nc/NC_Data/contents: No such file or directory</Message
>       <Administrator>admin.email.add...@your.domain.name</Administrator>

Nathan Potter

May 12, 2015, 9:16:37 PM5/12/15
to castronov...@gmail.com, Nathan Potter, ope...@opendap.org

Anthony,

Can you send the request URL that generated this response? Does the client request fail?

Thanks,

Nathan