read fortran unformatted data as opendap client

Namba Takaya

Jun 8, 2011, 6:00:45 AM6/8/11
to ope...@opendap.org
Dear Sir

Can we read the unformatted data created by fortran 90 through opendap server?
Does it depend on the oepndap client application?

Best Regards,

Takaya Namba

Gallagher James

Jun 8, 2011, 6:10:34 PM6/8/11
to Namba Takaya, ope...@opendap.org
On Jun 8, 2011, at 4:00 AM, Namba Takaya wrote:

Dear Sir

Can we read the unformatted data created by fortran 90 through opendap server?

Yes, in general you can. Can you tell me more about the data? Are they binary, ASCII, Comma Separated or something else?

James

Does it depend on the oepndap client application?

Best Regards,

Takaya Namba

James Gallagher
jgallagher at opendap.org

Namba Takaya

Jun 9, 2011, 6:01:11 AM6/9/11
to jgall...@opendap.org, ope...@opendap.org
Dear James

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I should have explained my situation  at more detail
I did already installed the opendap server in my Mac book. I already have the fortran compiler(G90, G77 and Intel fortran Compiler) in my mac.

First I would like to put my binary (fortran unformatted data) in my opendap server which can server the data (netcdf,hdf etc) to the client (even fortran).
Anyhow, I am sure that I have all the necessary libraries already as a client, I hope.
I would like to run fortran program as a opendap client to get the binary data(fortran unformatted data) in my mac through opendap.
I expect that I can obtain the data easily and  people from other PC can access my date through the opendap.

The part of the fortran to read the file is as follows,

 open(mtin,file=flin,form='unformatted',access='direct',&
       & recl=4*imut*jmut,status='old',iostat=ios)
 do k = 1, km
     irec = irec + 1
     read(mtin,rec=irec) dat4
     do j = 1, jmut
        do i = 1, imut
           ul(i,j,k) = dat4(i,j)
        enddo
     enddo
  enddo

Is it possible that I can get the fortran program with the "include" opendap library.

I hope that you understand my poor explanation.

Best Regards,

Takaya Namba

Subject: Re: [opendap] read fortran unformatted data as opendap client
From: jgall...@opendap.org
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 16:10:34 -0600
CC: ope...@opendap.org
To: takay...@hotmail.com

Namba Takaya

Jun 9, 2011, 9:35:21 AM6/9/11
to ope...@opendap.org, jgall...@opendap.org
Dear James

Thank your for your kindness.
I would better explain a few more.

I had installed hyrax 1.7(the newest version for mac os x). I also have the newest NCO.
That means that I probably have the newest netcdf in my mac.

I have many files of unformatted hugi data (written by fortran) resulted from a numerical model.
I would like to convert the unformatted data files to netcdf files.
I already have the fortran codes to read the unformmated dada which the moderer gave me.
I would like to modify the fortran program to convert the unformatted data to netcdf.
The netcdf files are much easier to deal with, using NCO, etc.

If there is another way, for example, if I can read the unformatted data by the fortan of opendap client, it is also fine. Because I think that the fortran program of opendap client is much convienient and we can share the unformatted files through the opendap.

That is why I asked you to give me the fortran sample program of opendap client to read unformatted data and write netcdf file.

From: takay...@hotmail.com
To: jgall...@opendap.org; ope...@opendap.org
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 10:01:11 +0000