Hardware requirements for physical CORD POD

Georgios Katsikas

Nov 12, 2020, 2:24:47 PM11/12/20
to cord-d...@opencord.org
Hi,

I am wondering whether the hardware requirements regarding the servers' network cards for a physical CORD POD are still the ones mentioned here.
Both NIC vendors have made substantial improvements (both in terms of link speeds and programmability) since the Intel XL710 (i40 driver) and the Mellanox ConnectX-3 (mlx4 driver) NIC adapters.
Are there any updates in CORD's bootstrap scripts which are related to newer NIC hardware, but are not yet pushed to github or gerrit?
We are planning to buy the newest Mellanox adapters (either simple ConnectX-6 or Bluefield-2) which use the mlx5 driver.
Of course, I am willing to contribute to CORD if any updates are required, but I am trying to avoid duplicate work.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Best regards,
Georgios

Andrea Campanella

Nov 13, 2020, 7:05:48 AM11/13/20
to Georgios Katsikas, cord-d...@opencord.org
Hi Georgios,

We still use those servers with those cards and we did not have the need to update those scripts so any contribution is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrea Campanella

Member of Technical Staff at ONF
Member of ONOS Technical Steering Team
Member of Ambassador Steering Team, ONOS and CORD Community

Georgios Katsikas

Nov 13, 2020, 7:10:08 AM11/13/20
to Andrea Campanella, cord-d...@opencord.org
Hi Andrea,

Thanks for the prompt response, I will definitely strike back when we set up our new cluster.
One more question regarding CORD: Is there a possibility to use bare metal Kubernetes or Openshift+Kubernetes, thus getting rid of OpenStack?
In other words, are there additional cloud platform options apart from OpenStack+Kubernetes?

Thanks,
Georgios

Andrea Campanella

Nov 13, 2020, 7:15:03 AM11/13/20
to Georgios Katsikas, cord-d...@opencord.org
Hey Georgios,

In the latests deployment at ONF we actually do use bare metal k8s deployed and managed with rancher, so it should be possible even with the CORD bringup scripts, although I’ve never tried myself.

Cheers,