Setup physical CORD POD without physical fabric switches

Georgios Katsikas

Oct 29, 2020, 5:06:29 AM10/29/20
to cord-d...@opencord.org
Dear all,

I would like to try out a physical CORD deployment with 3 x86 servers (1 head and 2 compute nodes), but no physical (fabric) white-box switches, since at the moment we do not possess such switches.
Is this possible to achieve, e.g. using an emulated switching fabric, such as OVS or bmv2?
Is there a reference document which I am missing?

Thanks,
Georgios

Cedric Lam (林 峯)

Oct 29, 2020, 10:55:00 AM10/29/20
to Georgios Katsikas, cord-d...@opencord.org
People implemented vBNG with x86 servers as opposed to mechant Si switches.   However, I have not seen people deploying x86 servers for the white-box switches.
--
Cedric F. Lam

Andrea Campanella

Nov 2, 2020, 4:34:57 AM11/2/20
to Georgios Katsikas, cord-d...@opencord.org
We did have SEBA - in A box integrated with mininet for simulation of the agg switch.
Unfortunately the VOLtHA part I based on VOLTHA 1.X and probably not working but the simulation with mininet of agg/fabric should.

Cheers,
Andrea Campanella

Member of Technical Staff at ONF
Member of ONOS Technical Steering Team
Member of Ambassador Steering Team, ONOS and CORD Community

Georgios Katsikas

Nov 2, 2020, 8:10:27 AM11/2/20
to Andrea Campanella, cord-d...@opencord.org
Hi Andrea, all,

Thanks a lot for the tips, I am currently setting the CORD POD up, following the documentation.
I will try SiaB for the fabric emulation as soon as I am done with this. Hope it works.

Thanks,
Georgios

Andrea Campanella

Nov 2, 2020, 8:13:11 AM11/2/20
to Georgios Katsikas, cord-d...@opencord.org
Sure!
No promises, unfortunately lately we have been laking behind on the full e2e SEBA solution due to focus on the VOLTHA side.

Any findings/fixes will be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Andrea Campanella

Member of Technical Staff at ONF
Member of ONOS Technical Steering Team
Member of Ambassador Steering Team, ONOS and CORD Community

Georgios Katsikas

Nov 2, 2020, 8:49:57 AM11/2/20
to Andrea Campanella, cord-d...@opencord.org
I am currently more into the backhaul network side (XOS, ONOS, Kubernetes, Stratum) of CORD, so access (e.g., using SEBA) is not a primary goal for me either.
However, if any patches occur, I will definitely let you know :)

Best regards,
Georgios