bootc/bootable container standards

Colin Walters

May 23, 2024, 1:24:30 PMMay 23
to dev
Hey, there are a few groups which are using OCI containers for bootable host systems, basically put a kernel in the image and some tooling outside it (e.g. https://github.com/containers/bootc ) to handle it at runtime.

One thing I'm thinking about is that it'd be useful to try to standardize a few things in this space:

- How one knows that the container includes a kernel and is intended for this use case (today we have a `containers.bootc = 1` label on our side)
- Where the kernel/initramfs live (bootc wants them in /usr/lib/modules/$kver, not /boot)
- A cross-distribution standard for things like users to inject kernel arguments (xref https://github.com/containers/bootc/pull/401#issuecomment-2127681741 - a lot of distro-specific stuff in this case to wade through)

Anyone have thoughts on this?  We can probably have a thread async on this to start, but maybe a once-a-month meeting with interested stakeholders from multiple groups?

Joe Huang

May 23, 2024, 4:03:08 PMMay 23
to Colin Walters, dev
Hi, Colin,

Cool. does it mean the application inside bootable container will not do syscall to the host OS anymore, or how many syscalls will still have to pass to the host OS.

Best Regards
Chaoyi Huang(Joe Huang)

Colin Walters <wal...@redhat.com> 于2024年5月24日周五 01:24写道: