TOB meeting tomorrow (3/3/2016)

gossm...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2016, 12:19:26 PM3/3/16
to Technical Oversight Board
We are scheduled for a call at 9am tomorrow. Who all is available? Do we have quorum?

I assume the agenda is to talk about Brandon's proposal, in which case I'll be trying to facilitate the conversation so that Brandon can champion his position.

Is there anything else we should cover?

gossm...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2016, 12:20:03 PM3/3/16
to Technical Oversight Board, gossm...@gmail.com
Okay...today is 3/3/2016. Meeting is 3/4 at 9am PST

Chris Aniszczyk

Mar 3, 2016, 12:22:07 PM3/3/16
to gossm...@gmail.com, Technical Oversight Board
Agenda is here: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1sHnTyM5S9IGt4jmdlI2D6dzl_8EBSIaRD0oNvmu7ILQ/edit?usp=sharing

I suggest adding the topic of updating the charter to deal with project structure.

Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719

Vincent Batts

Mar 3, 2016, 1:15:29 PM3/3/16
On 03/03/16 09:19 -0800, gossm...@gmail.com wrote:
>We are scheduled for a call at 9am tomorrow. Who all is available? Do we
>have quorum?

I will be unable to attend.
signature.asc

Greg KH

Mar 3, 2016, 3:36:48 PM3/3/16
to Vincent Batts, gossm...@gmail.com, Technical Oversight Board
A conflift for me just came up and I will be unable to attend as well,
sorry about this.

greg k-h

Brandon Philips

Mar 3, 2016, 7:48:54 PM3/3/16
to Greg KH, Vincent Batts, Chris Wright, Michael Crosby, Chris Wright, Michael Crosby, gossm...@gmail.com, Technical Oversight Board
Everyone-

Summary about accepting this proposal so far from the mailing list:

Agree (5): Greg KH, Vincent Batts, Jason Bouzane, Brandon Philips, Pavel Emelyanov
Questions (1): Diogo Monica
Disagree (0):

Currently we haven't heard from the entire TOB about whether they agree, disagree, or have questions with the proposal. Missing folks: Michael Crosby, Chris Wright, and John Gossman. If you haven't replied please reply tonight or tomorrow with one of: Agree, Disagree, or a list of discussion questions for the call.

The goal of the meeting tomorrow is to make progress on the new image format project proposal discussion. And, I want to start with a rough idea of who needs to learn what tomorrow.

Thank You,

Brandon

Michael Crosby

Mar 3, 2016, 7:51:06 PM3/3/16
to Brandon Philips, Greg KH, Vincent Batts, Chris Wright, Chris Wright, Michael Crosby, gossm...@gmail.com, Technical Oversight Board
Disagree
--
Michael Crosby
@crosbymichael

Diogo Mónica

Mar 3, 2016, 7:54:03 PM3/3/16
to Michael Crosby, Brandon Philips, Greg KH, Vincent Batts, Chris Wright, Chris Wright, Michael Crosby, gossm...@gmail.com, Technical Oversight Board
I also disagree with the proposal as stated (as I said on my original email).
Diogo Mónica

gossm...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2016, 11:24:51 AM3/4/16
to Technical Oversight Board, michael...@docker.com, brandon...@coreos.com, gre...@linuxfoundation.org, vba...@redhat.com, chr...@redhat.com, chr...@sous-sol.org, mic...@crosbymichael.com, gossm...@gmail.com
There seem to be 5 elements to this proposal:

  • Image that is content addressable

I agree we should do this
  • Security that is based on signing image content address

I'd like to hear a little more detail about this. Why is this not just a simple content hash?
  • Naming that is federated based on DNS (enables ec2 cr, gcr, quay.io, localhost registry, etc) and can be delegated

This seems to be the crux of the debates and I think is what we should discuss
  • Distribution that is based on HTTPS and enables other protocols (e.g. dockyard bittorrent p2p)

This seems like it is out of scope, but I'm willing to be convinced.

The fifth element is whether this is a new Project, TDC, new maintainers etc. That seems like it should wait until we scope the work.

gossm...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2016, 12:18:35 PM3/4/16
to Technical Oversight Board, gossm...@gmail.com
Just for reference, where is the OCI Scope Table? I have an old copy in e-mail, but I can't find it and the doc here, doesn't link to it https://www.opencontainers.org/governance

Diogo Mónica

Mar 4, 2016, 12:48:38 PM3/4/16
to gossm...@gmail.com, Technical Oversight Board
Maybe the representatives of the linux foundation know why it isn't a link?

Diogo Mónica

Chris Wright

Mar 4, 2016, 1:04:55 PM3/4/16
to Diogo Mónica, gossm...@gmail.com, Technical Oversight Board
* Diogo Mónica (diogo....@docker.com) wrote:
> Maybe the representatives of the linux foundation know why it isn't a link?

I pinged Mike Dolan who assisted with much of the governance work and
asked, he is looking into this. I'm sure it's just an oversight. I was
one of the people that expressed concerns with the scope document as it
was, and we agreed to get it online and consider it a _live_ document.
Meaning subject to change.

thanks,
-chris

Michael Dolan

Mar 4, 2016, 1:38:57 PM3/4/16
to Chris Wright, Diogo Mónica, gossm...@gmail.com, Technical Oversight Board
I’m still hunting down why we lost it on the website / or will recreate it, but the PDF attached has what you’re looking for in the meantime.

OCI Scope Table v4.2-final.pdf

vbatts

Mar 11, 2016, 11:32:41 AM3/11/16

On Friday, March 4, 2016 at 11:24:51 AM UTC-5, gossm...@gmail.com wrote:
There seem to be 5 elements to this proposal:

  • Image that is content addressable

I agree we should do this
  • Security that is based on signing image content address

I'd like to hear a little more detail about this. Why is this not just a simple content hash?

A cryptographic identity attesting to the validity of the simple content hash. Regardless of a detached signature or a framework with more moving pieces.
Nothing new, though perhaps this bullet could be more clear.
  • Naming that is federated based on DNS (enables ec2 cr, gcr, quay.io, localhost registry, etc) and can be delegated

This seems to be the crux of the debates and I think is what we should discuss

 Again, nothing that is new to folks. If you package and publish content, regardless where that content is hosted, or stored, it ought to be derivable the identity of the publisher of the package (and ideally the owner of the content). Just because the content is then hosted on a new server or is mirrored, does not change the publisher or content owner's identity and attestation.

  • Distribution that is based on HTTPS and enables other protocols (e.g. dockyard bittorrent p2p)

This seems like it is out of scope, but I'm willing to be convinced.

Perhaps the word "based" lends to think that any further protocols would be a derivative of an HTTPS base.
Starting with HTTPS is a lowest common denominator and is not broken to the point of avoiding. I am excited to see further protocols adopted to being wide spread, but should we avoid HTTPS?

vb