[image-spec VOTE] tag 6e820ec as v1.0.0-rc2 (closes Wed Oct 26 05:00:00 UTC 2016)

Brandon Philips

Oct 19, 2016, 12:44:15 AM10/19/16
to Jonathan Boulle, Stephen Day, Brendan Burns, Jason Bouzane, Vincent Batts, John Starks, dev
Hello Image Spec Maintainers-

We should release v1.0.0-rc2 of the image spec from commit 6e820ec. There have been several improvements and clarifications since the rc1 released 14 days ago. See the full list of commits here:

If you agree reply with LGTM.
If you disagree reply with REJECT and your reasoning.

There is one outstanding issue in the rc2 milestone but it is super underspecified and is about cleanup of the HTML and PDF targets. I think we should release the minor fixes made and not block on improved document generation.

Pull request for the version bump is open.

Thank You,

Brandon

W. Trevor King

Oct 19, 2016, 2:15:21 AM10/19/16
to Brandon Philips, Jonathan Boulle, Stephen Day, Brendan Burns, Jason Bouzane, Vincent Batts, John Starks, dev
On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 04:44:01AM +0000, Brandon Philips wrote:
> We should release v1.0.0-rc2 of the image spec from commit 6e820ec.

It would be nice to land [1] with 1.0.0-rc2 to clear the path for [2]
(fixing what I expect will be a fairly common unpacking error [3]).
[2] still needs some polish to pass lint checks, but I'm waiting until
the spec wording lands before doing that cleanup.

If rc3 is only a week or two away, we can always punt these pulls to
rc3. But it would be nice to have at least a few rcs before 1.0 that
didn't have such major semantic-clarifications in them (e.g. the
discussion in [1] about whether the collision removal should be
recursive or not). If we are intending to have a few clean rcs, then
delaying this vote for a few days to get [1] landed might save an
extra cycle.

Cheers,
Trevor

[1]: https://github.com/opencontainers/image-spec/pull/317
[2]: https://github.com/opencontainers/image-tools/pull/42
[3]: https://github.com/opencontainers/image-tools/issues/41

signature.asc

Jonathan Boulle

Oct 19, 2016, 7:39:42 AM10/19/16
to W. Trevor King, Brandon Philips, Stephen Day, Brendan Burns, Jason Bouzane, Vincent Batts, John Starks, dev
LGTM

I agree we should land some further clarifications before the final 1.0 but we will definitely have more release candidates in the series, so let's roll forward!

Vincent Batts

Oct 21, 2016, 11:47:15 AM10/21/16
to Jonathan Boulle, W. Trevor King, Brandon Philips, Stephen Day, Brendan Burns, Jason Bouzane, Vincent Batts, John Starks, dev
LGTM

Brandon Philips

Oct 24, 2016, 12:46:25 PM10/24/16
to Vincent Batts, Jonathan Boulle, W. Trevor King, Stephen Day, Brendan Burns, Jason Bouzane, Vincent Batts, John Starks, dev
LGTM

W. Trevor King

Oct 25, 2016, 5:56:40 PM10/25/16
to Brandon Philips, Vincent Batts, Jonathan Boulle, Stephen Day, Brendan Burns, Jason Bouzane, Vincent Batts, John Starks, dev
Just a reminder that this vote closes in 7 hours and currently has 3
votes. It needs two more LGTMs to reach a quorum.

Cheers,
Trevor
signature.asc

Brandon Philips

Oct 26, 2016, 3:36:00 PM10/26/16
to dev, brandon...@coreos.com, vba...@gmail.com, jonatha...@coreos.com, steph...@docker.com, bbu...@microsoft.com, jbou...@google.com, vba...@redhat.com, jost...@microsoft.com
Hello Everyone-

This vote failed to pass. +3,-0,#4.

John, Stephen, Brendan, and Jason- why did you abstain? Will you vote on this exact same release if it is reposted?

Thank You,

Brandon

Brendan Burns

Oct 26, 2016, 3:44:50 PM10/26/16
to Brandon Philips, dev, vba...@gmail.com, jonatha...@coreos.com, steph...@docker.com, jbou...@google.com, vba...@redhat.com, John Starks

Sorry, this was my bad, I let this drop.

I'm happy to support the release if we bring it up again.

--brendan

Oct 26, 2016, 4:19:41 PM10/26/16
to Brendan Burns, Brandon Philips, dev, vba...@gmail.com, jonatha...@coreos.com, steph...@docker.com, jbou...@google.com, vba...@redhat.com

Me too. Sorry about that.