Dropping el7 RPMs? Anyone still using it?

Lars Kiesow

May 17, 2023, 3:54:39 PM5/17/23
to us...@opencast.org
Hi everyone,
while rebuilding and updating the RPM repository infrastructure in
preparation for Opencast 14, I'm stumbling over a few problems with el7
(CentOS 7, RHEL 7, …) since tools in there are… old.

That is why I'm wondering if anyone is still using it instead of using
el8 or el9? Technically the OS is still supported for about a year and I
originally planned to still have it for Opencast 14 and 15 before
dropping it, but now I'm wondering if I can't just drop it right now?

Please let me know if you are still using it and you aren't planning an
update soon anyway.

It will definitely still get updates for Opencast 12 and 13.

Best regards,
Lars

steven cox

May 19, 2023, 10:15:30 AM5/19/23
to Opencast Users, Lars Kiesow
Hey Lars,

Happy to hear that Opencast 13 will continue to be available on EL7, we'll do a complete OS rebuild for 14 onwards.

Thanks to yourself and all the other devs

Regards

Steve

Olav Bringedal

May 22, 2023, 2:45:48 AM5/22/23
to us...@opencast.org, Lars Kiesow, Anders Myren, Ana Gabriela Pino Arevalo
Hi

I'm a bit ashamed to share this information, but we are still using
RHEL7.9 on our cluster.

--
mvh
Olav Bringedal

Lars Kiesow

May 25, 2023, 9:25:42 AM5/25/23
to us...@opencast.org
Hi Olav,
don't be ashamed. It's still fully supported ;-)
Do you have any plans for when you want to migrate?
–Lars

Dietmar Zenker

May 25, 2023, 9:33:01 AM5/25/23
to Opencast Users, Lars Kiesow
Hi,
we are also still on CentOS 7... Maybe we will migrate in summer (august) in preparation of the winter term.

Greetings,
Dietmar

Andreas Lindner

May 25, 2023, 11:02:40 AM5/25/23
to Opencast Users, dzenk...@online.de, Lars Kiesow
Hey there,

we are on CentOS 7 too.
We plan to upgrade our systems next year.

Take care,
Andreas | THD

Lars Kiesow

May 29, 2023, 10:16:36 AM5/29/23
to Opencast Users
Okay, sounds like it would still make sense to go with my original plan
and package Opencast 14 and 15 for el7. I'll come back to you with a
final plan soon, but for now, please assume that el7 will be supported
up until EOL of Opencast 15.
–Lars