Paella Player stops playing in Firefox 68.02

Matthias Vollroth

Oct 20, 2020, 8:58:32 AM10/20/20
to Opencast Users
Dear Opencast community,

since today we are facing a scary problem, which we never experienced before.

When playing a video in Firefox (ver 68.2.0 64bit) it freezes completely after 3-4 minutes playback. It is literally stuck and you can`t restart it without a refresh of the page. There are no errors in the developer tools of Firefox. I can not reproduce it with Chrome (Ver 86).
Maybe due to a Firefox Update?

We are using Opencast 8.5

Anybody facing similar issues? Any clues?

BR
Matthias

Karen Dolan

Oct 20, 2020, 10:03:59 AM10/20/20
to Opencast Users
Hi Matthias,

What device & OS are you using with this FireFox? I just updated my MacBook Pro FireFox 81.0.1 to 82 and do not have problems with Paella (similar version to 8.5) with mp4 tracks from Opencast.
The "freezing after 3-4 minutes" sounds like a media buffer cache problem, to me.  What type of tracks are you publishing and playing in Paella (HLS, MP4, other)?

- Karen

Carlos Turro Ribalta

Oct 21, 2020, 4:15:13 AM10/21/20
to us...@opencast.org

Dear Matthias

Firefox 68 is quite old, I’m in Firefox 82 both in Windows and MacOs. Is that a typo?

Carlos

Matthias Vollroth

Oct 21, 2020, 4:30:19 AM10/21/20
to Opencast Users
Hi Rüdiger,
Hi Karen,
Hi Carlos,

Thanks for your swift response and your hints.
We never experienced such kind of error before and its the first time our users notified that issue.

"are you using the default encoding profiles or custom ones?"
Good point, it seems to happen to videos which are encoded by a new custom parallel encoding based on the standard fast workflow, which was implemented by a Professor (see attached). Could that produce playback issues in the browser encoding? We also tested older encoded files (2 sources) with standard profile and workflow and there it seems NOT to happen.

Here is a public link of a 2 sources recording, which is freezing randomly and the player gets stuck - sometimes after 3, 4, 8 or 9 minutes playing (for me after playing 4:31min):

"What device & OS "
Win 10 Laptop and Workstations (will continue my testing today)
Encoded format .mp4
Firefox (ver 68.2.0 64bit) - Firefox ver81 - Firefox ver82
A colleague mentioned that i happen in Chrome too (ver82)

"sounds like a media buffer cache problem"
Yep, thought so too ... but the player gets stucks completly and do not react until a refresh of the page.

We are using multitenant setup with 3 Nodes - is a possible overload of the engage node also a source to look at? We never had this before...

Thank you a lot
Regards,
Matthias
engage-thav-parallel.properties

markham89

Oct 21, 2020, 12:13:22 PM10/21/20
to us...@opencast.org, Matthias Vollroth

Hi,

i create a patch, merge in paella 6.4.3 for that :

find es.upv.paella.hlsPlayer/hls-player.js file

(in paella player part)

https://github.com/polimediaupv/paella/issues/530

Hi,
I just fix the problem when i remove (comment) this part :

line : 14177

console.debug("HLS video resume failed. Trying to recover."); if (this._hls) { this._hls.recoverMediaError(); } else { //iOS In this way the recharge is forced, and it is possible to recover errors. let src = this.video.innerHTML; this.video.innerHTML = ""; this.video.innerHTML = src; this.video.load(); this.video.play(); }

no error, it's works !

the patch :

https://github.com/polimediaupv/paella/commit/c39f865cba8b5daade55ecfd775b9edbd9647fae

Regards,

Matthias Vollroth

Oct 22, 2020, 1:59:40 AM10/22/20
to markham89, Opencast Users
Good morning Mark,

Thanks for pointing that out. In the Opencast Install Bundle 8.5 there is paella player version 6.2.7 included.
If iam checking the opencast-engage-paella-player-8.5.jar on the system - unfortunately there is no plugin directory and i could not find "hls-player.js"
Any advise - how to find and fix that

Thanks in advance
BR
Matthias

Matthias Vollroth

Oct 26, 2020, 8:54:33 AM10/26/20
to markham89, Opencast Users
Dear all,

Sorry for bothering again. I have doublechecked this issue with the theodul player and it working without a problem.
Ive update the paella player to 6.4.3 but the freezing player still persists (btw its not regarding HLS) - so again Ive made some tests

Opencast 8.5 (default workflows / custom workflows)
Paella Player Ver 6.2.7 (integrated in the 8.5 Bundle)
only when playing a video with 2 sources
Firefox and Chrome (latest and nearly latest versions)

While watching the console of Firefox - the player gets freezed with this message (for the whole message see the txt attached):

Source-Map-Fehler: request failed with status 404 Ressourcen-Adresse: https://video-test.th-deg.de/paella/ui/resources/bootstrap/css/bootstrap.min.css Source-Map-Adresse: bootstrap.min.css.map

Fehler beim Verarbeiten des Wertes für 'width'. Deklaration ignoriert. 5 watch.html
Sync player current time: 545.557333 to time 546.765312 paella_player.js:4323:23

Is somebody facing similar issues with Opencast 8.5 and Paella when playing long videos with 2 sources?

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance

BR
Matthias
ff_failure_paella.txt

Matthias Vollroth

Oct 30, 2020, 5:21:59 AM10/30/20
to markham89, Opencast Users
Hi Mark,

The freeze of Paella 6.2.7 takes place only with videos in 1080p when playing 2 sources (after several minutes of playing).
Iam getting the failure that in paella_player.js the video sync mechanism is causing that behaviour.

paella_player.js
in line 4323 / 4324

startVideoSync(syncProviderPlayer) {
      this._syncProviderPlayer = syncProviderPlayer;
      this._audioPlayer = syncProviderPlayer; // The player that provides the synchronization is also used as main audio player.
      this.stopVideoSync();
      console.debug("Start sync to player:");
      console.debug(this._syncProviderPlayer);
      let maxDiff = 0.3;
      let sync = () => {
        this._syncProviderPlayer.currentTime().then(t => {
          this.players.forEach(player => {
            if (player != syncProviderPlayer && player.currentTimeSync != null && Math.abs(player.currentTimeSync - t) > maxDiff) {
              console.debug(`Sync player current time: ${player.currentTimeSync} to time ${t}`);
              console.debug(player);
              player.setCurrentTime(t);
            }
          });
        });
        this._syncTimer = setTimeout(() => sync(), 1000);
      };
      this._syncTimer = setTimeout(() => sync(), 1000);
    }

Firefox and Chrome console showing that the player tries to sync both sources and getting in an endless queue - therefore the player gets stuck completely. Never seen that mechanism in older versions before.

Is there a workarround to fix that?

BR

Matthias Vollroth

Nov 6, 2020, 5:50:45 AM11/6/20
to markham89, Opencast Users
Hi all,

that's kind of embarrassing, but I guess we found the source - named Sophos Antivirus :(
But if somebody facing the same issues - clear now where to look at.

Sorry for the postings...

BR

Carlos Turro Ribalta

Nov 6, 2020, 6:11:25 AM11/6/20
to us...@opencast.org, markham89

Thanks a lot for letting us know, Matthias. It is embarrassing but helpful 😊

We weren’t able to reproduce and we were a bit worried