Opencast Github Migration (Test)

Lars Kiesow

Jun 20, 2017, 4:19:28 AM6/20/17
to Opencast Development, us...@opencast.org
Hi everyone,
delayed due to the 3.0 release delay, but now you can find Opencast on
Github at:

https://github.com/opencast/opencast

Please test the migration until the end of the month at which point I
will call for an official voting where we can decide if we want to
fully migrate to Github or not. Note that the test period is now less
than two weeks, use that time!

To lessen the work for the synchronization, please try to avoid using
Bitbucket (for Opencast) as much as possible in the next two weeks.

Github mostly works the same way Bitbucket does: Fork the repository,
create pull requests, … Still, there are some small differences:

- Pull requests and issues are basically the same thing and unique
identifiers are used for both and you can search, … in both at the
same time. Hence, while you still can (and should) relate to
existing issues in pull requests, you do not necessarily need to
create a separate issue when you already have the patch.

- You can assign yourself to pull requests as well as issues. That way
you can easily take over a review.

- Github has a review tool which is a bit more powerful, but also a
bit more complex.

I did deactivate the included wiki but left the projects feature on for
know. Maybe some people find that useful.

Migration:

- You can add Github as additional remote (git remote add …) or simply
fork/clone from github anew.

- It would be great if existing pull requests could be re-submitted
against Github as well.

- COMMITTERS: If you do not have write access so far, please send me
your Github username so that I can give you access.

If you have any additional questions or need help, please let me know.

Best regards,
Lars