Define new intent at runtime

buria...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2018, 5:35:05 AM6/20/18
to ONOS Developers
Hi,

my question is, is there a way how to define new intent and insert it to ONOS at runtime? I read here that in order to define and use new intent ONOS needs to be recompiled
but wiki says that it is possible to define and insert new intent into ONOS at runtime. Which si true? If latter can you please point me to some tutorial/info how to define and insert new intents to ONOS
at runtime?

Thanks

Rafał Szalecki

Jun 20, 2018, 6:31:05 AM6/20/18
to onos...@onosproject.org

Hello,

The easiest way to add the intent in runtime is to use ONOS CLI:

onos> add-point-intent --help
DESCRIPTION
        onos:add-point-intent

        Installs point-to-point connectivity intent

SYNTAX
        onos:add-point-intent [options] ingressDevice egressDevice

Best regards

Rafał

laszl...@hubersuhner.com

Jun 20, 2018, 6:39:18 AM6/20/18
to r.sza...@samsung.com, onos...@onosproject.org
I think that is a specific Intent and what the original question was instead is a new intent type as opposed to new intent instance.

Disclaimer:
This message is confidential. It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. All deliveries and services are subject to our General Terms and Conditions of Sales.

The easiest way to add the intent in runtime is to use ONOS CLI:

onos> add-point-intent --help
DESCRIPTION
onos:add-point-intent

Installs point-to-point connectivity intent

SYNTAX
onos:add-point-intent [options] ingressDevice egressDevice

Best regards

Rafał

On 20.06.2018 11:35, buria...@gmail.com<mailto:buria...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

my question is, is there a way how to define new intent and insert it to ONOS at runtime? I read here<https://groups.google.com/a/onosproject.org/forum/#%21msg/onos-dev/awUP05lVLxI/XpO7SMmxBwA> that in order to define and use new intent ONOS needs to be recompiled
but wiki <https://wiki.onosproject.org/display/ONOS/Intent+Framework> says that it is possible to define and insert new intent into ONOS at runtime. Which si true? If latter can you please point me to some tutorial/info how to define and insert new intents to ONOS
at runtime?

Thanks

[cid:cafe_i...@s-core.co.kr]

ATT00001.gif

buria...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2018, 9:26:12 AM6/20/18
to ONOS Developers, buria...@gmail.com
Hi,

As Laszlo suggested I was referring to new type of intent situation.

From wiki:
It allows additional intents and their compilers or installers to be added to ONOS dynamically at run-time. This allows others to enhance the initial arsenal of connectivity and policy-based intents available in ONOS by default.

My question is how to add new type of intent at run-time. Or am I misunderstanding something and wiki refers to adding new intent instance at run-time and not new type of intent?

Thanks

Yi Tseng

Jun 20, 2018, 12:53:47 PM6/20/18
to buria...@gmail.com, ONOS Developers
Hi,

Which part mentioned that it is possible to add new type of Intent? Can you point out?

I think you can not add new type of Intent to the Intent subsystem.

Thanks
Yi

Yi Tseng (a.k.a Takeshi)
Taiwan National Chiao Tung University
Department of Computer Science
W2CNLab

buria...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2018, 1:00:43 PM6/20/18
to ONOS Developers, buria...@gmail.com
Hi Yi,

This is that part I was referring to

Although the ONOS core provides a suite of built-in intents and their compilers and installers, the intent framework is designed to be extensible. It allows additional intents and their compilers or installers to be added to ONOS dynamically at run-time. This allows others to enhance the initial arsenal of connectivity and policy-based intents available in ONOS by default.

Dňa streda, 20. júna 2018 18:53:47 UTC+2 a86487817 napísal(-a):
Hi,

Which part mentioned that it is possible to add new type of Intent? Can you point out?

I think you can not add new type of Intent to the Intent subsystem.

Thanks
Yi

As Laszlo suggested I was referring to new type of intent situation.

From wiki:
It allows additional intents and their compilers or installers to be added to ONOS dynamically at run-time. This allows others to enhance the initial arsenal of connectivity and policy-based intents available in ONOS by default.

My question is how to add new type of intent at run-time. Or am I misunderstanding something and wiki refers to adding new intent instance at run-time and not new type of intent?

Thanks

Yi Tseng

Jun 20, 2018, 1:21:58 PM6/20/18
to buria...@gmail.com, ONOS Developers
It is easy to add new Intent compiler and installer for built-in Intents because they don't requires Intent store and low level serializers.

If you want to add new type of Intent to the system, you need to update the serializer of the store so it knows how to serialize new Intent type:

However, currently the (KryoNamespace) serializer and EventuallyConsistentMap are immutable. So it requires recompile to apply new type of Intent.

Yi

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/onosproject.org/group/onos-dev/.

buria...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2018, 7:37:25 AM6/21/18
to ONOS Developers, buria...@gmail.com
So everything that is needed to define new intent is define intent class, intent compiler, intent installer and update intent store serializer?

Patrik

Riyad Islam

Jun 15, 2022, 6:14:55 AM6/15/22
to ONOS Developers, a86487817, ONOS Developers
Hi
Can you help me out on creating new type of intent. I am a beginner.
I am not understanting the intent workflow. So I am unable to add new type of intent.
Regards
Riyad