NETCONF CALL HOME support in ONOS

Patrick Liu

Sep 27, 2016, 8:32:08 AM9/27/16
to ONOS Developers, brigade-...@onosproject.org

Hello,

Anyone knows if current ONOS NETCONF/RESTCONF provider supports Call Home?

Thanks

-Patrick

Andrea Campanella

Sep 27, 2016, 9:54:38 AM9/27/16
to Patrick Liu, ONOS Developers, brigade-...@onosproject.org
Right now the call home feature is not supported. It's an interesting feature I discussed at IETF 96 hackathon with the people that are proposing it, I believe could be an interesting addition and fairly easy to NETCONF in ONOS.

Cheers,
Andrea Campanella

and...@onlab.us

Vinod Kumar

Sep 28, 2016, 9:11:58 AM9/28/16
to Andrea Campanella, Patrick Liu, ONOS Developers, brigade-...@onosproject.org
Hi Patrick / Andrea,
    For the test / demo purpose, do we have any devices(logical / physical) which can support this?

Thanks and Regards,
Vinod Kumar S.

On Sep 27, 2016, at 2:31 PM, Patrick Liu <Patri...@huawei.com> wrote:

Hello,
Anyone knows if current ONOS NETCONF/RESTCONF provider supports Call Home?

Thanks

-Patrick

Patrick Liu

Sep 28, 2016, 9:24:09 AM9/28/16
to Vinod Kumar, Andrea Campanella, ONOS Developers, brigade-...@onosproject.org

Vinod,  Huawei’s VRP enabled NE40E and CX series device should support this.  In initial demo of this brigade, we will not support this feature.   Thanks

-Patrick

Pradeep

Feb 14, 2017, 11:08:05 AM2/14/17
to ONOS Developers, Patri...@huawei.com, brigade-...@onosproject.org
Hello Everyone,
Do we have any update on this? its been few months from this response. Is Call Home available in ONOS now?

Andrea Campanella

Feb 14, 2017, 11:27:59 AM2/14/17
to Pradeep, ONOS Developers, Patri...@huawei.com, brigade-...@onosproject.org
Hi Pradeep,

no, right now this is not implemented in ONOS because it's not on our priority list. The NETCONF call home is something that the dynamic configuratiob brigade might eventually takle and will be integrated in ONOS in the future but i can't give you a timeframe.
By any chance are you willing to contribute the code to implement this functionality under On.Lab staff guidance ? that would be great!

Cheers,
Andrea Campanella

and...@onlab.us

Patrick Liu

Feb 14, 2017, 11:39:02 AM2/14/17
to Pradeep, ONOS Developers, brigade-...@onosproject.org
Pradeep, dynamic configuration brigade team does not have plan to support this. we are focus on the basic functionalities required for device configuration and service provisioning. If you have any urgent requirement for your project, we can talk about it. another way to do this is you or someone you know are interested in working on this feature, we can help you to understand current code and share what we have in this and related components.

Thanks

-Patrick

Patrick Liu

Feb 14, 2017, 11:40:28 AM2/14/17
to Andrea Campanella, Pradeep, ONOS Developers, brigade-...@onosproject.org

I agree what Andrea commented and suggested here.

Thanks

-Patrick

Feb 14, 2017, 10:30:58 PM2/14/17
to Vinod Kumar, Andrea Campanella, Patrick Liu, ONOS Developers, brigade-...@onosproject.org
Vinod, for ONS demo, we are not going to demo this.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to brigade-dyncon...@onosproject.org.

pradeep reddy

Feb 14, 2017, 10:59:56 PM2/14/17
to Patrick Liu, ONOS Developers, brigade-...@onosproject.org
Yes, am Interested in this.
If you can provide some guidance then i can work on this.

Thanks
Pradeep

Andrea Campanella

Feb 15, 2017, 12:21:32 PM2/15/17
to pradeep reddy, Patrick Liu, ONOS Developers, brigade-...@onosproject.org
Hi Pradeep,

it's awesome that you are interested and willing to contribute to this.
I have an idea on how to implement it but want to confirm this through looking at the code. i'll prepare a design document and share it with you by the end of today. This way we can discuss the implementation and start the work.

is this ok ?

Cheers,
Andrea Campanella

Member of Technical Staff at ON.Lab

Andrea Campanella

Feb 15, 2017, 5:06:49 PM2/15/17
to pradeep reddy, Patrick Liu, ONOS Developers, brigade-...@onosproject.org
Hi Pradeep,

i created a document that you can find here that outlines the ideas that i have regarding the implementation, you can view and comment on it. I think it should be an easy implementation given the fact that we find out how to pass/store username and password.

In the document i put also a couple of open points that i think it would be good for you to reply. I don't have a device to test with, is that something you have ?

Cheers,
Andrea Campanella

Member of Technical Staff at ON.Lab

Himanshu Ranjan

Feb 21, 2017, 8:31:56 AM2/21/17
to Andrea Campanella, pradeep reddy, Patrick Liu, ONOS Developers, brigade-...@onosproject.org
Hi Andrea,
I looked at the design document and I have few questions. Please correct me.

-ethz.ssh2 library does not have TCP Listener. Are you thinking of any other SSH library ?

-As per diagram, NetconfListener will accept the TCP connection and NetconfDeviceProvider will make ssh connection to device. All the ethz.ssh2 connect APIs are taking destination host address and destination port to make SSH connection that means system can choose a random source port to make SSH connection. The problem here is , if we do not use the same TCP connection ( i.e  all 4 tuples must be same ) to establish the SSH session then NAT / Firewall may not allow the incoming connection to device.

Regards
Himanshu

Andrea Campanella

Feb 21, 2017, 8:50:59 AM2/21/17
to Himanshu Ranjan, pradeep reddy, Patrick Liu, ONOS Developers, brigade-...@onosproject.org
Hi Himanshu,

replies inline.

On Feb 21, 2017, at 2:31 PM, Himanshu Ranjan <trivedi....@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Andrea,
I looked at the design document and I have few questions. Please correct me.

-ethz.ssh2 library does not have TCP Listener. Are you thinking of any other SSH library ?

i was think of using somethign lightwaight just for the TCP purpose. ethz.ssh2 does not support passing the underling TCP connection to be built upon and this might resort into a problem. but for now i would like to evaluate any possibile option befor chaning the ssh library in the netconf susbystem. Do you know any lightweight TCP listeners ?

-As per diagram, NetconfListener will accept the TCP connection and NetconfDeviceProvider will make ssh connection to device. All the ethz.ssh2 connect APIs are taking destination host address and destination port to make SSH connection that means system can choose a random source port to make SSH connection. The problem here is , if we do not use the same TCP connection ( i.e  all 4 tuples must be same ) to establish the SSH session then NAT / Firewall may not allow the incoming connection to device.

my idea was to extrapolate device ip and port from the tcp connection received from the device. ONOS ip and port have to be configured on the device itself so we know the endpoint he is contacting. does this make sense ?

Himanshu Ranjan

Feb 24, 2017, 6:41:34 AM2/24/17
to Andrea Campanella, pradeep reddy, Patrick Liu, ONOS Developers, brigade-...@onosproject.org
Hi Andrea,
I looked into some Java SSH libraries and found that most of them are not suitable for our usage because either they are heavy weight or they are lacking the functionality that we need. I have one approach to implement call home is to continue using ethz.ssh2 library and add one API in the library for our purpose. This API will accept connected socket as argument and establish SSH connection to device. Adding this API will be relatively easy. But we may need to provide the change to library maintainer to get the release for us. I do not know how difficult this is ?

Second approach is to use a new library. I looked into J2SSH Maverick library which seems to be solving the problem.
Your inputs will be highly valuable.

Regards
Himanshu

Andrea Campanella

Feb 24, 2017, 7:02:54 AM2/24/17
to Himanshu Ranjan, pradeep reddy, Patrick Liu, ONOS Developers, brigade-...@onosproject.org
Hi Himanshu,

right now i don't have the bandwidth to evaluate changing completely the ssh library we use. When i created the Netconf Susbystem i made it modular enough that the change "should" be pretty straight forward and transparent to do.
regarding the two options i would do this:
- augmenting ethz.ssh2. We can definitely do this, i believe the code is more or less in a fixed state and we can pull it, augment it with the things we need an republish it ourselves (ray might have some insight on how easy this is) the only fear that i have is that this is a short term solution, we end up having to maintain more code, and in the long term we would end up changing the library nonetheless.
- J2SSH Maverick. We can swap this but as i said i have no bandwidth to look into it. this is probably the long term solution.

If you have time can you please dive into both options and evaluate these things:
- augmenting ethz.ssh2. Download the source code and consider how difficult it is to insert a given TCP connection as transport. What changes need to be made to the library and how long it will take
- J2SSH Maverick. Asses how much it differs from ethz.ssh2, what is the minimum amount of changes that will be needed in the ONOS Netconf Subsystem to use this library and come up with an idea on how much it will take.

A google doc with these consideration would be perfect.

i'm here to guide you through the process but unfortunately i have a lot on my plate right now for ONS.

Cheers,
Andrea Campanella

Member of Technical Staff at ON.Lab

Himanshu Ranjan

Feb 27, 2017, 9:02:07 AM2/27/17
to Andrea Campanella, pradeep reddy, Patrick Liu, ONOS Developers, brigade-...@onosproject.org
Hi Andrea,
Great to hear from you.
I have started evaluating these two options. I will send the google doc for approach one in a day or two. Then I will move on to evaluating approach two.

Regards
Himanshu

Andrea Campanella

Feb 27, 2017, 9:19:29 AM2/27/17
to Himanshu Ranjan, pradeep reddy, Patrick Liu, ONOS Developers, brigade-...@onosproject.org
Hi Himanshu,

perfect, if you need any help or would like to discuss something let me know.

Cheers,
Andrea Campanella

Member of Technical Staff at ON.Lab

杨锦修

May 21, 2019, 8:52:11 AM5/21/19
to ONOS Developers, brigade-...@onosproject.org, Patri...@huawei.com
and now, if ONOS NETCONF provider supports Call Home?

在 2016年9月27日星期二 UTC+8下午8:32:10,Patrick Liu写道: