Re: Netconf-testing on devices

Andrea Campanella

Jul 27, 2017, 4:43:45 AM7/27/17
to SOUNDARARAJAN, ARCHANA, brigade-...@onosproject.org, ONOS Developers
Hi Archana,

i've cc'ed the dynamic configuration brigade who can give you better answers to you questions. please don't drop the list and reply to all.
Regarding your inquire the fact is that at some point you still need the "glue" from the yang models to the values to put in them depending on the action that ONOS/you request to be operated on the device. So it's not a matter of hardcoding to me, it's just that they put in place this "glue" between the pieces.
Completely agreed that this should not be model device specific driver but a general OpenRoadm drivers that can be used with multiple devices of different vendors.

Cheers,
Andrea Campanella

Member of Technical Staff at ONF
Member of Ambassador Steering Team, ONOS and CORD Community

On Jul 26, 2017, at 4:10 PM, SOUNDARARAJAN, ARCHANA <as7...@att.com> wrote:

Hi Andrea,

Thank you for giving me a starting point.

I read the document, it seems like the driver is vendor specific. But OpenRoadm is built for driver independent systems. Also, I took a look at Huawei’s driver code, since they have linked their yang models to the device driver class. It looks as if it has been hard coded to support their yang models? (DeviceUtils.java). I don’t know if I am understanding it right. If you could help me in writing the driver, it would be great.

Thank you.

Archana Soundararajan

Jul 27, 2017, 10:49:32 AM7/27/17
to brigade-...@onosproject.org, ONOS Developers, Andrea Campanella

Hi All,

I am trying to build a common driver for the OpenRoadm Devices using Onos. Currently looking at the already existing drivers (Huawei and Microsemi) and trying to link the OpenRoadm devices with its yang models using Netconf sessions.

I am very new to Onos, any help in building this generic driver will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Sean Condon

Jul 27, 2017, 11:48:12 AM7/27/17
to SOUNDARARAJAN, ARCHANA, brigade-...@onosproject.org, ONOS Developers, Andrea Campanella
I think a good place to start is the XML file i.e. src/main/resources/<name>_drivers.xml

This will help you think about the behaviours, the type of protocol etc, the hardware you want to support etc. You can have a generic or specific manufacturer and hwVersion - they just have to match whatever DeviceDescriptionDiscovery responds with.

Once you choose the behaviours, you will just have to do the mapping to the onos-yang-tools generated code in the implementation files.

Jul 27, 2017, 1:17:30 PM7/27/17
to Sean Condon, brigade-...@onosproject.org, ONOS Developers, Andrea Campanella, Jonathan Hart

Thank you for your reply Sean.

I know  protocol, it has to be netconf. Hardware and software need not be specified for now.

The behaviors will  should primarily have the DeviceDescriptionDiscovery and its implementation. This is where I would need help. Anything on this front would be appreciated. Thank you once again.

BR,

Archana

Sean Condon

Jul 27, 2017, 6:15:04 PM7/27/17
to SOUNDARARAJAN, ARCHANA, brigade-...@onosproject.org, ONOS Developers, Andrea Campanella, Jonathan Hart
Hi would start with
  1. create a new branch - follow https://wiki.onosproject.org/display/ONOS/Sample+Gerrit+Workflow
  2. create a new folder under drivers for your driver (call it what ever you want )
  3. Copy a BUCK file from one of the existing drivers in to it to get started (use Microsemi if you like) and edit appropriately to reference the openroadm models
  4. Make a src/main/resources/<somename>-driver.xml (again copy from some other driver) and edit appropriately (comment out the behaviours other than DeviceDescriptionDiscovery to start with
  5. create a java package under src/main/java like org.onosproject.drivers.<somename>
  6. create a Java class that implements DeviceDescriptionDiscovery (and extends AbstractHandlerBehaviour)
  7. Implement discoverDeviceDetails and discoverPortDetails
  8. put the name of this file in to the XML file as the implementation of DeviceDescriptionDiscovery
  9. in onos/modules.defs add in this driver in the ONOS_DRIVERS section
  10. build it with "onos-buck build onos" and fix any errors
  11. run it with "onos-buck run onos-local -- clean debug"
  12. In another terminal window run "onos localhost" for the ONOS CLI
  13. Activate your app with "app activate org.onosproject.<somename> and monitor the logs from the first window
  14. Run "drivers" command and hopefully you will see yours listed with the DeviceDescriptionDiscovery behaviour
  15. Create an instance of your device with NetCfg REST Web Service as a device - see https://wiki.onosproject.org/display/ONOS/The+Network+Configuration+Service
  16. If it is successful the discoverDeviceDetails and discoverPortDetails will get called
  17. Run the devices command to see the new device

This is only the start of course - you will need to implement fully implement the behaviours to talk to a real device through NETCONF. See other drivers on how the get access to the NETCONF session and they use the onos-yang-tools generated code to map between the Data Model and encode/decode to/from XML for NETCONF. The XML can then be sent and receieved in NETCONF commands like get-config, edit-config.

This is just a simple SBI implementation of a driver - there are many other ways to work with ONOS - I'm not sure what your overall goal is - it depends on the behaviours you want to support.

Hope this helps, Sean

Jul 28, 2017, 3:25:39 PM7/28/17
to Sean Condon, brigade-...@onosproject.org, ONOS Developers, Andrea Campanella, Jonathan Hart

Thank you Sean for the detailed explanation.

I am still stuck in the 7th step, I don’t understand how to link the openroadm device model with the discoverDeviceDetails and discoverPortDetails.

My end goal is to fetch the device model info through the netconf instantiation.

Best Regards,

Archana Soundararajan

Sean Condon

Jul 29, 2017, 4:05:27 PM7/29/17
to SOUNDARARAJAN, ARCHANA, brigade-...@onosproject.org, ONOS Developers, Andrea Campanella, Jonathan Hart
Archana

Good to hear you got that far.

So to connect to a NETCONF device you have 2 choices
1) Create XML yourself to pass to the device and handle the XML that returns yourself (not recommended)
OR
2) Use ONOS Yang Tools 2.2 to perform the translation between an Object model and XML (encoding) and the reverse (decoding) - recommended

There is a good description of ONOS Yang Tools at https://wiki.onosproject.org/display/ONOS/YANG+Tools

In either case 1) or 2) above you would have to
  1. get a hold of the NETCONF session : controller.getDevicesMap().get(handler().data().deviceId()).getSession()
  2. Call on the get() or getConfig() of the session and pass it the XML for the YANG model
  3. Receive the XML reply and strip of the <rpc-reply> bit
  4. Extract the values you want from it
  5. return a DefaultDeviceDescription with these values in it

Do you have a device to simulate a NETCONF server with these YANG files loaded? It is possible to create a test harness for NETCONF XML conversations. See the examples I have in the Unit test org.onosproject.drivers.microsemi.yang.MockNetconfSessionEa1000 - here I have expected requests and replies corresponding to some of my YANG files. You could create something similar for the OpenROADM messages - the advantage of putting them in to a unit test is you will know easily if a future code change breaks your implementation.

Best regards, Sean

Nov 2, 2017, 7:41:54 AM11/2/17
to ONOS Developers, as7...@att.com, brigade-...@onosproject.org, and...@opennetworking.org, jo...@opennetworking.org
Hi Sean, and all others

First, this is probably the most specific walk-through on how to create a driver that I have found. Thanks!

I am trying to connect to a Netopeer server through a custom driver. I have been looking into the Cisco and Fujitsu driver, and I follow the setup and I'd be able to extend it.
Unfortunately, when I do as you describe below and reach step 14, it stops. I can activate the driver without any errors in the log, though the driver does not show in the list when calling "drivers" in the CLI.
It should be mentioned that I can see the driver as an entry on the "Applications" tab in the GUI.

What am I missing?

I have modified the files below accordingly, as described. There is also the "features.xml" which you didn't mention, but it exists in the other drivers, so I included it as well.

Best regards,
Kim Holdt

Kim Clemensen Holdt

Nov 2, 2017, 9:05:01 AM11/2/17
to ONOS Developers, as7...@att.com, brigade-...@onosproject.org, and...@opennetworking.org, jo...@opennetworking.org

Nevermind. I realised that I was missing the DeviceLoader.java.

My apologies.

/Kim

laszl...@hubersuhner.com

Nov 2, 2017, 9:15:01 AM11/2/17
to hol...@gmail.com, onos...@onosproject.org, as7...@att.com, brigade-...@onosproject.org, and...@opennetworking.org, jo...@opennetworking.org

Dear Kim,

Do you mean the "*DriversLoader.java" file in which your class extends "AbstractDriverLoader"?

The presence of the "features.xml" file is not required for BUCK as far as I am aware. Are you also planning to support maven or only BUCK?

Best Regards,
Laszlo Papp

Interested in our Newsletter?
Subscribe under http://www.hubersuhner.com/newsletter Thank you.

Disclaimer:
This message is confidential. It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. All deliveries and services are subject to our General Terms and Conditions of Sales.

Nov 2, 2017, 10:07:56 AM11/2/17
to Kim Clemensen Holdt, ONOS Developers, as7...@att.com, brigade-...@onosproject.org, and...@opennetworking.org, jo...@opennetworking.org
Sometimes writing the email is the catalyst for figuring out what is needed!

Aug 10, 2018, 3:46:52 AM8/10/18
to ONOS Developers, brigade-...@onosproject.org, and...@opennetworking.org, jo...@opennetworking.org, as7...@att.com
Hi Archana,
I think I have similar problems as you faced at that time.
I am using the ovs-netconf device and connected with ONOS successfully as follows.

onos> devices
id=netconf:192.168.1.101:830, available=true, local-status=connected 8s ago, role=MASTER, type=VIRTUAL, mfr=Of-Config, hw=VirtualBox, sw=1.0, serial=1, chassis=0, driver=ovs-netconf, ipaddress=192.168.1.101, locType=none, name=netconf:192.168.1.101:830, port=830, protocol=NETCONF

netconf-cfg i used:

{
  "devices": {
    "netconf:192.168.1.101:830": {
      "netconf": {
        "ip": "192.168.1.101",
        "port": 830,
        "username": "mininet",
        "password": "mininet"
      },
      "basic": {
        "driver": "ovs-netconf"
      }
    }
  }
}

After that I want to get the information of this Netconf device by
But always resource not found error.
http://127.0.0.1:8181/onos/restconf/data link shows me the internal error
Could you please give me some hints that how I can get the information from this connected netconf device and post configuration to them.
I saw your discuss before, seems that i need to write a new driver even though i used the ovs-netconf?

Appreciate if you can give me some advises.
Best regards.

在 2017年7月29日星期六 UTC+9上午4:25:42,SOUNDARARAJAN, ARCHANA写道:

EXTERNAL EMAIL