Query on TCP Payload in intercluster communication

Abubakar Siddique

May 26, 2015, 4:49:42 PM5/26/15
to onos-d...@onosproject.org
As of the latest build, I read in some post as well as saw it myself that all the inter ONOS cluster communication has been shifted to one messaging substrate using port 9876 with multiple TCP connections as needed. I have some queries regarding this:

1. Are multiple services, RAFT & Anti-Entropy & Heartbeat on the same TCP connection?
2. If they are, how do you differentiate them, is there a specific payload format?
3. In the course of 10 minutes with no topology connected and using two controllers, I saw that the TCP connections are established and then torn down and they are not stable, is there a specific way of doing them, a specific procedure which defines this?

Regards
Abubakar

Madan Jampani

May 26, 2015, 5:27:10 PM5/26/15
to Abubakar Siddique, onos-d...@onosproject.org
1. Yes. They all go to the same end point (TCP port)
2. Each message, as part of its payload has metadata indicating the subject of the message. Each subject maps to a unique handler on the receiver end.
3. Even when no topology is connected, there is background activity that goes on in the cluster. Examples of this include: heartbeat messages for cluster membership and failure detection, Various store specific messaging such as eventually consistent map (anti-entropy, etc) and consistent map specific messaging (Raft) and there could be other application store specific messaging. Between any 2 controller instances, there are can exist multiple TCP connections. These connections are established on demand and taken down if they are idle for more than 1 min. We use apache commons pool for maintaining the TCP connection pool. It has simple primitives for creating connections on demand and tearing down idle connections. See org.onlab.netty.NettyMessaging for specific implementation details.

Madan.

Abubakar Siddique

May 27, 2015, 4:27:33 AM5/27/15
to onos-d...@onosproject.org, guitarax...@gmail.com
Thanks! I will surely check out netty.

Is there some documentation available for the metadata? Actually I want to do packet inspection and see which packet belongs to which service.

Abubakar

Jun Huy Lam

Jul 2, 2015, 3:32:19 AM7/2/15
to onos-d...@onosproject.org
You can use Wireshark and filter the messages on port 9876. from there you can see the details of each packet.