Which protocols does ONOS support?

Jaytirth Khairatkar

Apr 14, 2015, 4:23:58 AM4/14/15
to onos-d...@onosproject.org
I am interested in knowing the protocols supported by ONOS. Especially routing protocols? Does ONOS support MPLS too? Where can I get a list of protocols supported by ONOS?

Alfonso Carrillo Aspiazu

Apr 14, 2015, 10:00:11 AM4/14/15
to onos-d...@onosproject.org
Jaytirth,

Take a look at this presentation of ONOS Blackbird release to see what is in it.

Saludos,

.Alfonso
20150328-ONOS-Blackbird.pdf

Charles Min-Cheng Chan

Apr 14, 2015, 10:58:04 AM4/14/15
to Alfonso Carrillo Aspiazu, onos-d...@onosproject.org
Jaytirth, Alfonso,

This slides are designed to give intuition to the newcomers in a very limited time and thus it may not cover all the details.
I still recommend you to take a look at the official wiki to get the latest and detailed information.

Back to the topic. As far as I know ONOS supports following protocols.
(Maybe someone else on the list can help me check if something is missing.)

For controller southbound
OpenFlow 1.0 / 1.3 (Blackbird)
NETCONF, TL1, PCEP (Cardinal)

For networking protocols
IPv4, ARP, TCP, UDP, ICMP, DHCP, LLDP, BDDP, MPLS (Blackbird)
BGP (Blackbird, SDN-IP use case)
IPv6 (Blackbird, experimental)
Multicast (Cardinal)

For MPLS, taking a look at MplsIntent might help.

Best,
Charles

Luca Prete

Apr 14, 2015, 11:37:48 AM4/14/15
to Charles Min-Cheng Chan, Alfonso Carrillo Aspiazu, onos-d...@onosproject.org
Jaytirth,

What do you mean by network protocols here?
As you may know in the SDN world this thing is a little bit different, for example OSPF is not really used, since you have a global abstracted view (through a graph) of your network and you can calculate best path differently.

For sure ONOS uses natively LLDP and BBDP to discover the network topology, it uses BGP to talk to the "legacy external networks". It supports both IPv4 and IPv6 and it provides an application to facilitate the ARP resolution and message propagation in the network (called proxy-arp).

Specifically regarding MPLS. We can create dedicated "MPLS intents" using the MPLS labels between two end-points of the network. Since we support MPLS at the intent framework level, we support it also at the flow subsystem level (of course, intents are compiled into flows at the end..). Of course THE NICE thing is to don't have to use (and are not consequentially implemented) all the annoying legacy MPLS control plane protocols (like i.e. RSVP-TE, ...).
There's also an application in ONOS which is called Segment Routing (which should be integrated into ONOS 1.2 cardinal) that enables a smarter (and easier) control of the MPLS data planes through ONOS. Well, in reality the application does a bunch more than this...but this is one of the basic concepts it based on. Please look on the wiki to get more details on this at https://wiki.onosproject.org/display/ONOS/Archived+Content%3A+ONF%27s+SPRING-OPEN+project.

Hope it helps to clarify something more,

Cheers,

Luca