Ubuntu switched to systemd

Marc De Leenheer

Apr 25, 2015, 1:15:52 AM4/25/15
to onos-d...@onosproject.org
Just a heads up. Was playing with the latest Ubuntu 15.04, which apparently made systemd the default over upstart. This means the current ONOS install scripts don’t work properly.

A quick fix to bring ONOS back up was to:

1) Create a file named /lib/systemd/system/onos.service

[Unit]
Description=ONOS

[Service]
ExecStart=/opt/onos/bin/onos-service

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

2) and then run
sudo systemctl start onos

This has a bunch of problems, as I’m ignoring the options file, and logging is not quite right (it all goes to syslog). But I’m sure someone more patient than me can fix all of this. Or we can simply have upstart as a hard requirement for our VMs.

Cheers,

marc

Chip Boling

Jul 8, 2015, 4:34:50 PM7/8/15
to onos-d...@onosproject.org
I ran into the same thing while trying to build up some LXC containers on a 15.04 VM that I am building up for some training classes.

Since I will be running ONOS in the LXC containers, I just logged into the containers and executed:

                 sudo apt-get install  upstart-sysv

So the containers will use upstart and run all the onos code as-is and the main host is on systemd.  I first noticed the upstart/systemd issue when trying to do an onos-group install -f $OC1 $OC2 command.  After the upstart downgrade on the containers, the install command on the host works as expected.

   - Chip