College enrollment for SY2015-16

pmcatalan

Jul 1, 2015, 9:59:13 PM7/1/15
to pin...@one-bosco.org
I have found out the following things with the help of my son who was an alumni of the HS department of OUR institution:
  1. There are 42 students who enrolled in ME this sy2015-16.
  2. Out of the 42 students, only five came from our institution.
  3. Out of these five (5) Bosconians, only three (3) came from the mechanics section, Kowalski.
Obviously, very few of our HS graduates are considering DBTC as destination for their tertiary education for some reasons (Mine was simple.  Paolo passed UPCAT and my wife is an employee of UP Diliman.).  Based on the figures, our major market has been non-Salesian institutions.  Is this true in your tertiary programs?  What could be the pros and cons of these phenomenon?  Is it still possible to bring back the time when around 50% of the students in college came from our high school department? (I was a non-Bosconian entry in 1987 and majority of my classmates were from Salesian schools: Mandaluyong, Makati, Victorias, Pampanga, Tarlac, and even Papua.)

Rodelio Barcenas

Jul 1, 2015, 11:33:06 PM7/1/15
to pin...@one-bosco.org

Sir Paul, this is a very interesting topic.

I know of a school similar to us like La Consolacion College have the same sentiments.  Most of their HS graduates also preferred outside their walls to take their college degrees.  We have also other DBECs in the one-bosco.org. DBC Canlubang is now in one-bosco.org, Pampanga, and some accounts from Tarlac,  Suggestion lang if possible po. Can you construct an inquiry poll, sir Paul? (haha rhyme na rhyme)...  Perhaps lahat naman dito sa Pinardi would like to get a good picture of this one.... Then after the poll, display mo sir yung live report.... Im not that good in creating a good question for the poll (via Google Form)....

--
Visit us at http://pinardi.one-bosco.org
---

Rico Manalo

Jul 2, 2015, 12:33:00 AM7/2/15
to pin...@one-bosco.org
There was survey conducted by Sir John regarding that issue. I suggest to consider the result of the survey conducted.

Avelino A. Barbosa

Jul 3, 2015, 2:29:33 AM7/3/15
to pin...@one-bosco.org

During the late 90's most of the Technical Instructors in BED Department are College Upper Year Students and most of them are proficient Tech Instructor that inspired, challenged and promote the Engineering courses of the College Department (CpE, ME, ECE). I remember my first year in DBTC – GE program have section’s A, B and C.

I think the roster of the current Technical Instructor in the BED are not as inspiring as before and not promoting the College Program.  The concept of Departmentalization of each sector had been a big factor and divided our focus in promoting our own institution. Then the negative image that have been circulated around about the College. When you enrolled in the College Department you will be likely graduated late cause it’s so hard to pass the courses in the department.

I think we need to intensify our own campaign in our institution and DBEC’s and even in our former feeders school of GE students. Then we need to re-evaluate our tuition fee and miscellaneous fees. I think it’s also a big factor to be consider. Even in GS and HS department.

And maybe there will be a committee that will conceptualized technical proposal and funding sourcing that the College Program will be beneficiaries. It can be a R&D style.

Melvin C. Maranan

Jul 3, 2015, 11:07:56 AM7/3/15
to pin...@one-bosco.org
Mr. Avelino Barbosa,

First of all, let me thank you for showing your support on the use of the onebosco account and your concern for our school, especially on the college department. So allow me to answer your email.

Undoubtedly, I am proud to say that I am a product of our college and currently one of the Technical Instructors in the BED - High School that you refer as "those not inspiring as before". I feel that our role as Technical Instructors is to equip our students with proper knowledge, skills, attitudes, and habits in the different fields of technology that we teach. I also feel that we are proficient enough to become Technical Instructors because of the licenses, certifications, and further studies that we earned through the years. I am telling you now that, in many ways, I promote our college to my students even if I am not formally oriented about the details of the college program.

Coincidentally, based on my personal conversation with some of my students for the past years, here are the two most common reasons why they would choose to move out of our Institution:

          1. Students will not take an engineering course or the technical course they want is not offered in our college

           2. Students want to have a different environment for their college life.

Knowing that it is you who deliberately singled-out the Technical Instructors as the reason why students transfer to other schools, because of us not being inspiring enough and not promoting the college program, simply defines your thinking capacity.

Your interesting claim on the concept "departmentalization" on having divided focus on our school promotion also forced me to form this stupid analogy that the possible reason why the transfer rate of our GS students to our HS is declining is because the GS teachers are not inspiring enough as compared to the previous teachers and do not promote the HS program. Anyway, why intensify our campaign for the college? I think it should be done for our SHS because at this point there will be no first year college next school year.

On the other hand, if you can give time from your very busy work, may I invite you to at least provide us with a program proposal for the High School Technical Instructors on how can we promote the college program, or better yet, for the promotion of the Senior High School instead, which will start next school year.

Undeniably, your way of thinking really inspired me and reminded me of the saying... "If you cannot be part of the solution, at least, do not be part of the problem."

Jonathan A. Fabros

Jul 3, 2015, 12:01:59 PM7/3/15
to pin...@one-bosco.org
Mr. Avelino Barbosa,

Based on the current line up of the Technical Instructors of the High School Department, 4 instructors are graduates of the College Department. Did you consider the following reasons why graduates of the HS opt to choose others school:

1. They will not take engineering
2. The engineering course they want is not offered in our college
3. They want a different environment
4. Their parents want them to study in other schools

Unfortunately, as Mr Maranan also mentioned, you purposely singled-out the technical instructors of the HS Department as "those not inspiring compared to the 90's" on what basis? For what reason? Anyway, if you can give some of your precious time, can you provide us some of your inspiring words that might help us inspire our students.

Rodelio Barcenas

Jul 3, 2015, 1:05:25 PM7/3/15
to pin...@one-bosco.org

Alright sir Paul, and Avelino... can we hear some programs out there? Can we? Sir Anthony Malino and the rest felt the same. Count me in also.

A good program we can look into, dream, and inspire ourselves between college and HS.

pmcatalan

Jul 3, 2015, 7:23:54 PM7/3/15
to pin...@one-bosco.org, rpbar...@one-bosco.org
Good morning guys!  Sorry for this, I think I made quite a mess.  I did not meant for this when I posted.  The reasons given by Melvin and Junatz are known and have been discussed in at least one of our MT meetings.  The phenomenon has been happening for several years now and previous college MT made some actions such as crediting technical courses to entice the students or their parents to enroll in our college.  But despite that, still, only a few of our HS graduates enroll in our college...  My son Paolo is again an HS alumni.  We were keen on enrolling him in UP because of financial advantages.  But actually, Paolo wanted to study in our college. If we have no financial constraints, I would have opted that Paolo stays in DBTC.  Anyways, this phenomenon has been happening for a long time.  Team mate Melvin, former student Junatz, and colleague Alvin, I was just asking if it is still possible to entice our students to enroll in our college?  I was not referring to Mandaluyong only.  I was referring to other Salesian schools.  I am aware that the mission of all HS departments is not to brainwash the students to come to our college.  Although, we expect the HS teachers to help, but this is not their responsibility.  Sir Rodel addressed the issue to the members of the college and I think he is right.  We have to come up with programs otherwise we would not take advantage of our setting.  Sayang naman si One-Bosco.  The other point is this, majority is coming from non-Salesian schools.  I think this is definitely a PRO.  We convert more into Bosconians this way, di ba?  Yesterday, during my orientation with the 1st year students.  I asked kung meron bang galing sa Salesian school.  Only five raised their hands. (Btw, they all came from Mandaluyong)  This is proof that majority comes from non-Salesian schools. When I asked one of my students, who was working on our SEM project, why he chose DBTC, he answered "Gusto po ng father ko at dapat po yung kapatid ko dito din nag-aral."  Take note that the student is from Marinduque and he travels to DBTC every week to work for their project.  Solutions are better formulated with data.  This is where we all can contribute.  Although may data na from Melvin and Junatz, I think we need to dig deeper.  To help improve college enrollment, why not initially ask our students during our "Salesian assistance" time (para sincere)?  Feed to the college MT what you got from the students.  From the initial data, we could formulate the survey tool that Sir Rodel is talking about.  I or we can do the formal data gathering and analysis in one of our courses... Sabi ni Father Noel, bonding does not happen when you have fun, it happens when you have conflicts. :-).  After arguing, at the end, we serve the Lord...with Holy Joy.

Melvin C. Maranan

Jul 3, 2015, 8:25:02 PM7/3/15
to pin...@one-bosco.org
Mr. Paul Catalan,

I would like to inform you that just last week at least one of my students asked permission to be excused from class to process his aplication for UST. I simply told him that "may senior high school pa kayo ah, hindi ka pa magco-college." He just responded "sir, derecho na po kasi ako ng college doon." I would say that this mindset of parents or students in terms of continuing their SHS to the school where they will take their college must be considered.

Paul Catalan

Jul 3, 2015, 8:39:25 PM7/3/15
to pin...@one-bosco.org
Yes, Sir Melvin.  Thanks for the info.  I am sure that all following this thread will consider that - reason for not continuing SHS in DBTC is because they have decided that they are not going to pursue higher education in DBTC.  Right?  That is data and we can make a more scientific interpretation later.  More info like this means more Salesian presence practiced di ba?  Thanks Melvin.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "The Pinardi Shed (Forum)" group.

Rodelio Barcenas

Jul 3, 2015, 9:21:45 PM7/3/15
to pin...@one-bosco.org
PRRRRRTTTTTT!

Point of Order ;-)

It is OK to disagree or to discourse sometimes....

To all pinardi forum members, please remember the ruling

We respect each and everyone's thoughts or opinion.
We value Reason, Religion and Loving Kindness in the way we post or go through with the discussion.

Jump, Run, Make Noise but Do Not Sin - as St. John Bosco would say it...

OK lets focus on the topic.... Maganda itong topic, lets give each one always the benefit of the doubt.

Sir Barbosa, paki check po muna mga post before posting....

Lets all work for the glory of Don Bosco..

Maria Cristina Vista

Jul 4, 2015, 11:46:38 PM7/4/15
to pin...@one-bosco.org
Amen to all.

Avelino A. Barbosa

Jul 5, 2015, 8:14:01 PM7/5/15
to pin...@one-bosco.org

To all the people that I cause and feel offended, it is not my intention in maligning your Good Reputation/Department. To the BED Technical Department Sorry Guys - it’s all my Fault.

Sorry it is not I meant – “not inspiring compared to the 90's”.

Things have been said and aired already maybe from there we can reflect what to do not only in college department but also for the whole institution (GS, HS, College & TVET).

The downward enrollment in respective department in our institution for the pass years can be an indicator that we need to inspire more one another and strategies our concerted effort on that matter.

Again, I’m so Sorry-it’s all my fault, if I offended you.

Arthur Edang

Jul 5, 2015, 8:57:20 PM7/5/15
to pin...@one-bosco.org
Tanong lang po. Who can read all these discussions? Salesian NOrth? all students? pls clarify

Eulogio P. Reyes

Jul 5, 2015, 9:06:07 PM7/5/15
to pin...@one-bosco.org
I can read and see.... sa harap kita kasi naka upo

Eulogio P. Reyes

Jul 5, 2015, 9:13:45 PM7/5/15
to pin...@one-bosco.org
Peace be with you!

in the sermon yesterday at a mall...the priest mentioned something like this
"Our God, is a God full of Surprises"
tama nga... na surprise nga ako sir sa mga pangyayari, ikaw ba sir?

Talagang God is so great!

Love you All

Rodelio Barcenas

Jul 5, 2015, 10:43:50 PM7/5/15
to pin...@one-bosco.org
Hi guys,

Sir Alvin, Sir Loy.
OK na yung topic.

TO all,
Lets proceed sa further discussion over the matter.

Sayang yung mga inputs, ma off topic tayo pag we dwell to much on emotions.
Im re-orienting the topic back to its previous state as posted by Sir Paul.
Basta lets just give people a chance to air their thoughts.  Whenever we post para hindi
magkagulo, make it simple direct to the topic, NO sweeping statements. Lahat tayo
brothers and sisters dito sa ating role sa school.

Sir Paul, dapat ikaw mag moderate nito, iniwan mo ha?

OK so let me re-focus this topic again;

(1)
Sir Paul made a post regarding issues he observed about College enrollment
  1. There are 42 students who enrolled in ME this sy2015-16.
  2. Out of the 42 students, only five came from our institution.
  3. Out of these five (5) Bosconians, only three (3) came from the mechanics section, Kowalski.
(2)
Sir Rico Manalo posted that there were already surveys conducted regarding the issue

(3)
Sir Alvin Barbosa made some comments about his perception over the issue. Sir Alvin's post is prone to
mis-interpretation, kinda sweeping, but again we have to respect his point of view.

(4)
Sir Melvin, posted a reply to the sweeping statement.  I think (my opinion only), Sir Melvin did a very good and honest reply.
He also posted some good points; (out of some conversation with students)
           1. Students will not take an engineering course or the technical course they want is not offered in our college
           2. Students want to have a different environment for their college life.
(5)
Sir Jonathan also gave some good points;
According to students
1. They will not take engineering
2. The engineering course they want is not offered in our college
3. They want a different environment
4. Their parents want them to study in other schools

He asked regarding the sweeping statement regarding HS.

(6)
On side discussion (outside the main thread)
Sir Dalde questioned the sweeping statement with several direct statements.

Sir Barcenas asked permission if the side discussion post be placed on the original thread;
Sir Dalde said that it be deleted, it might be too impulsive.
Sir Barcenas said it is OK to be impulsive. Everyone can also be impulsive, its natural.

(7)
Another Side Discussion (outside the main thread)
Sir Arland introduced himself from the marketing dept IAO of DBTC.
He made an interesting input;
We have a long way to go but we can always  start in our own workplaces  and promote a culture of pride and excellence.
This was always felt in the bigger schools such as Ateneo, et al. We don't have it here in DBTC.

(8)
Reply to the Side Discussion (outside the main thread)
Sir Paul (Main Thread owner) replied also and accepted the post of Sir Arland.
He aired his idea regarding the school colors, why not gray?
He is also asking what would be the Niche now of DBTC?

(9)
Continued side discussion (outside main thread)
Sir Rodel gave some inputs regarding a question.
Why not do a marketing towards parents instead of marketing through HS students since the parents is still the last say where students will be enrolled.
He gave an example marketing to parents using Capstone Projects with industry (where the parents are). Parents became curious about the skills of our students which could have been the reason why BSIT almost made it 3digits freshmen enrollment.

(10)
Back to main thread
Sir Paul (Main Thread Owner) posted sorry for the mess the thread came out to be.

(11) No useful discussion followed.

Let us all go back to the thread topic.  No side discussion please.
Sayang yung mga inputs. Let's put to rest the sweeping statement. It could just be a perception. Lets give the benefit of the doubt.

OK?

So lets proceed with the topic.
Side topics will be deleted.

Reply to the main thread po.
Lets all work now.

pmcatalan

Jul 6, 2015, 8:42:04 PM7/6/15
to pin...@one-bosco.org, rpbar...@one-bosco.org
Haha.  I did not know that owner = moderator.  Newbie me.  Anyway, I think maybe everyone needs a little time to reflect.  I believe that the GS-JHS-SHS-College-TVET have to be connected to be successful; in our case, at this point, SURVIVE.  They should promote each other and sadly this has not been too evident.  Everybody has biases, maybe even the Salesians.  At this point, maybe we should throw the issue to the house council and get their opinion about this while we are all looking for ways to promote our own, which hopefully would lead to the idea of "one-bosco" in our own institution. Good morning.

Vitaliano Chito Dimaranan

Jul 6, 2015, 9:27:04 PM7/6/15
to pin...@one-bosco.org, pmca...@one-bosco.org
Good morning everyone!

This is precisely what I am advocating - get our act together. The initial platform for this is the one-bosco advocacy which I am not sure at this point is clear to everyone. I have spent months so far trying to get everyone on board. This Pinardi Shed is one of the many expected offshoots of this advocacy, which I am happy to note, is already functioning, but which needs a lot of fine tuning in many senses, not excluding clarifying the house rules for the interchange, what to say and how to say them, without the need to recall messages and/or pushing the delete button.

Yes, we do have a problem with common branding. Without common branding, there is no positioning. Without positioning, there are no potential clients.

I would like to say one important thing ... Whilst we are all concerned about it, as shown by the at times emotionally laden discourse in this thread, that shows one positive thing. We all want the school to survive - and thrive! BUT THIS IS IMPORTANT. THE PROBLEM IS BIGGER THAN ALL OF US combined.

As an administrator, I have been trying to do my best to steer the institution towards sustainability. That meant I had to take decisions that I am sure were not popular and will never be popular. Even as I write, I still hear some grumblings from here and there.

Back in the day during my first tour of duty here, the various DB schools were our primary sources of clientele: Tarlac, Pampanga, Victorias, and even Cebu and Canlubang, where I stayed the longest in my priestly life. The same cannot be said now. So are there some biases on the part of Salesians? Maybe. I don't want to call it bias, but there is surely something sorely missing in the area of synergizing and adopting that needed oneness in branding and positioning.

I would like to ask everyone in this thread. Are you all familiar with the one-bosco advocacy? It not, would you want me to share with you the pertinent details of that and the achievements we have done so far?

On the local front, I am happy enough to note that most of you are using the portal and the email service and planning also to use the Google Apps. That is already one achievement.

We could do a lot less of finger-pointing and engaging in the blaming game. Now is not the time to point accusing fingers to anyone, but now is the time to rally behind one another.

Just FYI, we Salesians (and me personally) are doing all our level best to find ways and means to uplift our image and find ways to that much needed positioning. I cannot tell details but we are not sleeping on our oars. YES, I DO HAVE A BIAS - A POSITIVE BIAS IN FAVOR OF THE TERTIARY LEVEL OF SALESIAN EDUCATION, which I have been championing quietly since 1994.

One suggestion to all. Let us filter the content of what we say and be aware of those things we do not say, but which we really mean. That is called META COMMUNICATION.

Let us tell the truth in charity and be open to objective and professional and mature discussions.

Thanks to everyone who are already using the one-bosco account. We are getting there slowly but surely.

Fr Chito

Rachelle G. Malaluan

Jul 6, 2015, 10:07:43 PM7/6/15
to pin...@one-bosco.org
hi Fr. Chito i am now using my account and its really a convenience on my part since our SAH encourages us to submit our requirements paperless...I'm still trying to maximize my account since I'm not that tech person :-)

--
Visit us at http://pinardi.one-bosco.org
---

Vitaliano Chito Dimaranan

Jul 6, 2015, 10:08:56 PM7/6/15
to pin...@one-bosco.org
Way to go! All the best!

Fr. Vitaliano "Chito" Dimaranan, SDB
Don Bosco Technical College - Mandaluyong City

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "The Pinardi Shed (Forum)" group.