HBI: Peru Project Report

H G

Nov 29, 2022, 2:07:18 PM11/29/22
to OBRA Chat
I’ve been in Peru this month, spending part of the time in the desert city of Ica, riding and working with some formerly abandoned boys at a foster home supported by local NGO, Health Bridges International (HBI) at their inaugural 2022 Adventure Gravel Camp. These boys have fully embraced cycling as a literal and figurative vehicle for healing and freedom - sound familiar? Several of them - especially the boys from the Cusco area - are stunningly fast climbers! I guess that’s what living at 3500m will do for you!

THANKS to those of you out there who contributed to this effort with bike parts, bike clothing, tools, helmets, bottles, patch kits, bottle cages, parts purchases and cash donations. Thank you to Kevin Chudy (X-Bike N Hike) for his patient, expert, mechanic instruction for the boys at the home - what a rockstar! And special thanks to Mike Colbach (BicycleAttorney.com) for his heavy-lift donation of 13 Specialized bicycles - facilitated with the help of West End Bikes!

The job is certainly not complete - more bikes and gear are needed, and more roads need to be explored! If you want to help, visit HBI: https://hbint.org/donate/ or connect with me on a ride some time. If you want to GO to Peru to experience this first hand, we fully expect to return in 2023!

I think all of us who went on the trip received far more than we gave - the people who hosted us were extremely kind and generous; they took care of us, fed us, and welcomed us entirely. It was very humbling.

Check out this video to see a bit of what it was like! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LpExdbHeHk