Barton Park Recap and Pictures

Ian Gibson

May 13, 2024, 7:49:04 PMMay 13
to OBRA Chat
The Barton Park Road Race is done and dusted, and I would say overall it was a success. With temps in the upper eighties and the challenge of 'the Wall', it was definitely a hard day in the saddle for many. A lot of planning and hard work went into this race, but perhaps predictably not everything went exactly to plan. We had some issues with getting results for the first wave of races, and there was a long delay before we could get the final wave of pro/1/2, masters 1/2 and masters 50/60 + out on the course. Some of those issues were on me, while others I had no control over. We cyclists are a strange bunch - despite the heat, despite the delays, and despite the hard course, by far the most amounts of comments I heard were about how much fun it was, and please can we do this again!
I want to give a big shout out to our sponsors; Skratch Labs, Wahoo, Wolf's Tooth, and local business 'Bent Shovel Brewing'. I also want to give a big thank you to Dave, Terri and the OBRA crew for all of their hard work. I know there were a couple of controversial rulings,  and an issue with some results, but personally I think they all did a great job. Finally I want to thank my amazing crew of volunteers who gave up their time to support the race. Lance 'freakin' Heppler and John Hatfield especially put in a very long day of work including tearing the whole course down after everyone had left. Thanks guys!
So did we achieve anything beyond giving people an occasion to race their bikes? I think we did. I didn't lose any money, didn't completely lose my mind from stress, and I think we showed that putting on a road race here in OBRA land can be a winning proposition. I really hope this encourages other promotors to think about putting on their own races so we can continue to grow the sport here.
Thanks to everyone who showed up. Boo to those of you who didn't. We will return next year, hopefully bigger and better!
Ian.

Chris Ho

May 14, 2024, 11:17:20 AMMay 14
to Ian Gibson, OBRA Chat