Communication Norms: These norms are designed to support the OBRA community to create a more inclusive environment online and in person.
1. No harmful rhetoric, slurs, or derogatory language toward another individual or community
2. Respect people's pronouns, names, and overall identities in any way they ask of you
3. Understand the privilege you have as well as the privileges of those around you, when discussing issues that do not affect you. Be aware of the space you are taking up, be aware of which communities you might be speaking over and when to step back.
4. Know your own biases and preconceived notions, and be prepared to separate yourself from them.
5. Be respectful, analyze your gut response, try to understand the discussion to the best of your ability before responding.
6. Treat others the way you want to be treated, with kindness and respect. Better yet, treat others the way they would want to be treated.
7. Understand that just because you don't intend for something to be hurtful doesn't mean it won't be. Make apologies and repairs if need be.
8. Think slowly and thoroughly about responses to ensure we do not say the first thing on our mind. Beware of sarcasm online and the way that you may be framing what you are saying, messages can be received in a different matter depending on others current situations or past experiences.
9. Be mindful of the differences between online discourse and face to face interaction. Without access to body language, facial expression, tone of voice etc. statements must be precise and unambiguous to avoid misunderstanding.
10. Any of the following is not allowed per guidelines located at:
(a) Misleading or false information, including links to sites containing misleading or false information
(b) Personally identifiable information, such as Social Security Numbers, home or business addresses, e-mail addresses, or phone numbers;
(c) Threats of harm or violence;
(d) Profanity, obscenity, or vulgarity, including images of or links to such material;
(e) Defamation to a person or people;
(f) Name calling and/or personal attacks; and
(g) Comments that infringe on copyrights.