NumFOCUS outreach for diversity

Mariana Meireles

Apr 18, 2020, 4:46:45 AM4/18/20
to Diversity & Inclusion in Scientific Computing
Hi all,

I recently started to work in the Jupyter and a bit in the scikit ecosystems and noticed we're lacking very much on diversity in these environments.

I thought it'd be amazing if NumFOCUS created a program like Rail Girls or Outreachy for diversity folks in scientific computing.
I have some connections with the Outreachy people that might help us on this, at least giving tips on logistics and how to start.
I can also do some work as a web developer and be a mentor for a project.

Is creating something like this under NumFOCUS is possible? I know some projects like Jupyter have participated Outreachy before.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Hope you're all keeping safe,
Have a nice weekend!

- mariana meireles

Stefan van der Walt

Apr 18, 2020, 5:09:24 AM4/18/20
to di...@numfocus.org
Hi Mariana,

FWIW, scikit-image is mentoring via Rail Girls Summer of Code, so we can think of going *via* their program instead of starting our own one perhaps?

Best regards,
Stéfan

Mariana Meireles

Apr 20, 2020, 12:23:36 PM4/20/20
to Stefan van der Walt, di...@numfocus.org
Hey Stefan,

Yeah, that’s true. I’ll apply for the next round of these.

I was just interested in learning if NUMFocus had any plans to create a program like this.

I honestly think the more the merrier. And since I joined the ecosystem wanted to volunteer to help!

Cheers,
- mariana meireles

Juan Luis Cano

Apr 20, 2020, 12:33:14 PM4/20/20
to Mariana Meireles, Stefan van der Walt, di...@numfocus.org
> FWIW, scikit-image is mentoring via Rail Girls Summer of Code, so we can think of going *via* their program instead of starting our own one perhaps?

First news I have that RGSoC accepts non-Rails and non-Ruby
projects... Thanks all! This is good to know.

--
Juan Luis Cano

Ana Ruvalcaba

Apr 30, 2020, 5:43:52 PM4/30/20
to Mariana Meireles, Diversity & Inclusion in Scientific Computing
Hi Mariana - I want to share a few key efforts in case you're not familiar with what's been done so far. Also I want to preface this with the fact that I agree, more initiatives and outreach be undertaken. There are three efforts I've seen since I joined in 2016. First, an intern program at Cal Poly State University where we have taken on almost 30 students since 2015 (2020 marks the 6th cohort). Undergraduate and graduate students from various disciplines are hired to make up a cohort of 6-10 contributors who are then broken into small teams of three (2 engineers and 1 UX UI designer) to work together to explore and build Jupyter extensions over an 11 week period (full time during summer quarter).  I'm currently leading this intern program on campus which was started by Brian Granger.

There has also been two people who participated in the Outreachy program in 2019 where they were focused on JupyterHub and supported by a team of Jupyter core contributors from UC Berkeley and Simula Labs in Norway.

After completing the Outreachy program one of the participants became a Jupyter Contributor in Residence through funding from CZI. https://blog.jupyter.org/@georgiana.dolocan CZI

If you have ideas or something you'd like to propose don't hesitate to reach out, I would be interested in hearing more. Thanks for your question and interest by the way! It inspired me to write a blog post about our intern program, I don't think it's something that is widely known and may be interesting for other projects to hear about.

Best Regards,
Ana

Ana Ruvalcaba
Director, Jupyter
Project Jupyter, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

Twitter: @Ruv7
GitHub: @Ruv7
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Ana Ruvalcaba
Director, Jupyter
Project Jupyter, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

Twitter: @Ruv7
GitHub: @Ruv7
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Mariana Meireles

Aug 4, 2020, 7:23:26 AM8/4/20
to Ana Ruvalcaba, Diversity & Inclusion in Scientific Computing
Hey Ana and all,

Thank you for your answer, I’m excited to connect with you!
I’m currently not connected to any university, so this approach is a bit hard for me. My only previous connection was with my Brazilian university but the situation has got complicated because of Bolsonaro's government.

I emailed Outreachy folks months ago, but got no response.
Today I just heard about this call that some people in open source diversity are organizing and it seems interesting!
It's going to happen in the next few weeks. I'm joining, it might be interesting for someone else here.

Cheers,
- mariana meireles