Applications open for NEW WocCode peer-mentoring program

Lia Corrales

Oct 21, 2020, 10:50:46 PM10/21/20
to di...@numfocus.org

Hello everyone,

I’m proud to announce a new peer mentoring program: WoCCode. Please forward this information to you departments and other interested parties.  Thank you!

Women of Color (WoC) – which includes Black, indigenous, and Latinx minorities – are the most underrepresented demographic from high paying industries, including software engineering. Yet WoC are flush with the talent, creativity, and social insight to solve complex problems and lead in the software industry. Using a dedicated Slack space and cohorts of 4-5 people, this program seeks to unite WoC and other members of minoritized groups, to battle feelings of isolation and marginalization that are prevalent in educational institutions and industry settings. Participants will be placed in cohorts of 4-5 people and encouraged to meet on a 1-2 week basis. We will also host monthly 1 hour webinars, featuring peer-lead instructional tutorials and talks by professionals from academia and the software industry. Our first kick-off webinar will be in January 2021.

WoCCode is now accepting applications for members of its inaugural 2021 cohort. Follow this link to apply: http://bit.ly/woccode-apply-2020

Forms submitted before November 24, 2020 will receive full consideration. Anyone may apply to WoCCode.

WoCCode is an Astropy sponsored IDE (Inclusion, Diversity, and Empowerment) project, which receives funding support from the Moore Foundation. Questions about the program can be directed to WoC....@gmail.com

Link to PDF flyer: http://bit.ly/woccode-flyer-2020a

Dr. Lía Corrales
pronouns: she/her
WoCCode_flyer_2020.pdf

Mariana Meireles

Oct 22, 2020, 8:04:11 AM10/22/20
to Lia Corrales, Diversity & Inclusion in Scientific Computing
Hey Lia,

Great initiative!
I don't think the link to the form is working:

>You need permission
>This form can only be viewed by users in the owner's organization.

Will be happy to share once it is :)
Cheers,

-mariana meireles

Lia Corrales

Oct 22, 2020, 9:04:27 AM10/22/20
to di...@numfocus.org
Hi everyone! Thanks for noting the technical issue with the form link.

It should now work!  I didn't know that my institutional Google drive would restrict access automatically for a form, but I've changed the settings. Please let me know if you are still not able to view the form.

Thanks, ~ Lia

Dr. Lía Corrales
pronouns: she/her