Problem Analysis 5 Why's and Conflicting Parameters

shah....@gmail.com

Sep 11, 2019, 1:21:09 AM9/11/19
to Discussion forum for Design Thinking - A Primer
Dear Bala Sir,

Greetings!!

How do we approach the  5 WHY's process when we have multiple problem statements as this becomes very lengthy and cumbersome , specially when we have a group of 8-10 people doing 5 why's together and each one of them has a different why at each level.

Kinldy provide detailed explanation to this problem.

Also would want to know if there is an alternative for conflicting parameters technique,then I'm open to explore that as well.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Warm Regards,
Nilay Shah

Prof. Bala Ramadurai

Sep 13, 2019, 5:38:00 AM9/13/19
to Discussion forum for Design Thinking - A Primer, shah....@gmail.com
Hello,
  Thank you for your query.

5-whys is used mainly to find the root cause of the problem that your customer is going through. If there are multiple problems that the customer has, you can pick one that is very important for the customer. There may be branches in the why analysis. This just gives you a broader context of what they are going through.

I'd say, focus on the customer's worst experience and use the approach to reduce the pain for them.

Thanks and have a nice day!
Bala

shah....@gmail.com

Sep 20, 2019, 10:36:48 AM9/20/19
to Discussion forum for Design Thinking - A Primer, shah....@gmail.com
Dear Bala Sir,

Greetings!!

The LIVE interaction was helpful and also added value. Thank you!

So far, I'm really enjoying the course and making an attempt to apply these concepts in real life projects. So we started off doing a project but while applying design thinking to our work processes we are facing the following bottlenecks.
  1. We have addressed all the process related pain points but are getting lost while performing the 5 why's technique, as it becomes very lengthy and cumbersome specially when we have a group of 8-10 people doing 5 why's together and each one of them has a different why at each level. So kindly advise on How to apply the 5 WHY's in such situations. The constraint here is that we need to address all the identified pain points.
  2. Then from the 5 Why's we identify the conflicting parameters and define the parameters in conflict to find the solutions to the problem, so wanted to learn from you, if there is any alternative method to the conflicting parameters technique, I would be more than happy to explore the same.
Awaiting your kind advise and direction.

Warm Regards,
Nilay Shah

Nilay Shah

Sep 24, 2019, 4:05:15 AM9/24/19
to Discussion forum for Design Thinking - A Primer
Dear Bala Sir,

Awaiting your kind reply on the trailing mail.

Warm Regards,
Nilay Shah

Prof. Bala Ramadurai

Sep 26, 2019, 6:54:17 AM9/26/19
to Discussion forum for Design Thinking - A Primer, shah....@gmail.com
Hello,
  Thank you for your question. We had actually answered this question in the live session. I really appreciate that you have in the effort to apply the method in real life and that too with a team! Thank you for sharing that with us.

Short summary - don't get too hung up on process alone, but focus on what we are trying to achieve. We want to get an understanding of the root cause of the problem. An unsaid need is what we are looking for. If one of the branches has lead us there, so be it. Let's pick that up and then run the conflict of interest analysis on that one particular one.

Main reason we do these analyses (which are not prescribed in detail by the Stanford or the Ideo method, it is indeed prescribed by Prof. Karl Ulrich of U Pennsylvania), is to understand the unsaid need. 5-whys and conflict of interest is one way of doing it.

I hope this answers your query.
Thanks and have a nice day!
Bala

Nilay Shah

Sep 27, 2019, 2:52:45 AM9/27/19
to Discussion forum for Design Thinking - A Primer, shah....@gmail.com
Dear Sir,

Thank you for the clarification.

Additionally would be happy to revisit the LIVE video session where I may have missed the mention of this particular topic. Would request you to kinldy provide me the link for the same.

Warm Regards,
Nilay Shah

Nilay Shah

Sep 30, 2019, 7:30:38 AM9/30/19
to Discussion forum for Design Thinking - A Primer
Dear Sir,

Awaiting your reply in the trailing mail.

Warm Regards,
Nilay Shah

I’m protected online with Avast Free Antivirus. Get it here — it’s free forever.

I’m protected online with Avast Free Antivirus. Get it here — it’s free forever.

Nilay Shah

Oct 7, 2019, 4:42:20 AM10/7/19
to Discussion forum for Design Thinking - A Primer, ba...@balaramadurai.net
Dear Sir,

Looking forward to your kind reply for the trailing mail.

Warm Regards,
Nilay Shah

Prof. Bala Ramadurai

Oct 7, 2019, 5:39:01 AM10/7/19
to Discussion forum for Design Thinking - A Primer, ba...@balaramadurai.net
Hello,
  Thank you for your email. You should find the link to the video in the announcement section.

Thanks
Bala

Nilay Shah

Oct 7, 2019, 6:36:43 AM10/7/19