Return to In-Person Learning: Schedule for K-5, NAMS, and NAHS

Hillary Stasonis

Jul 12, 2021, 8:40:14 PM7/12/21
to NAPS News
Mail Attachment.png

Dear NAPS Community,

I am writing to provide an update on NAPS plans for a full in-person return. I am pleased to announce that at last night’s meeting the School Committee voted 5-0 to approve the full in-person start dates for our K-5 students, NAMS and NAHS students according to the chart above.

On March 9, 2021, the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) issued “Guidance on In-Person Learning and Student Learning Time Requirements.” As per DESE’s announcement, parents will have the option of choosing whether to send their children to school in-person, full-time or to have their children attend school remotely in the On-Line Academy (OLA). The new regulations will allow NAPS to continue offering our On-Line Academy (OLA) for the remainder of the school year but will eliminate any hybrid options for elementary students beyond April 5, middle school students beyond April 28, and high school students beyond April 29.

As with our current hybrid model, the North Andover School District will continue to implement health and safety mitigation strategies designed to reduce the likelihood of COVID-19 transmission for in-person learning. These mitigation strategies include mandatory mask-wearing, hand-washing, and cleaning and maintaining healthy facilities, and contact tracing in combination with isolation and quarantine. The one change in our mitigation strategy relates to physical distancing. Since September of 2020, our practice has been to ensure at least 6 feet of physical distancing between students. As per DESE’s “Guidance,” 3 feet is now the minimum distance required between students. As a result, we will be re-arranging our classroom spaces to meet this new standard. The exception to the 3-foot physical distance standard is when students are unmasked, such as during snack or lunch, where 6 feet of physical distancing will continue to be required.

Over the next several weeks, we will continue to make the necessary preparations to return our schools to full in-person learning. This ongoing work is underway, and families should expect to receive more information directly from their principals next week.

We look forward to the return of all of our students. We will continue to keep you updated as we move ahead. Thank you for your continued support, patience, and flexibility.

Respectfully,

Dr. Gregg T Gilligan, Superintendent