School Closure Resources

Hillary Stasonis

Mar 18, 2020, 3:08:34 PM3/18/20
to naps...@northandoverpublicschools.com

Information for North Andover Families during Coronavirus school closure

On Sunday, March 15, 2020, Governor Baker ordered a three-week closure of school operations for educational purposes at all public elementary and secondary (K-12) schools in the Commonwealth, beginning Tuesday, March 17 and continuing until Monday, April 6.

Governor Baker has asked districts to provide opportunities to keep learning alive for students while schools are closed. To that end, we want to ensure that our students have opportunities to be engaged and supported while they are away from school. These materials and activities are not intended to replace classroom instruction. These opportunities will look different depending on the grade and learning needs of the student.

Learning Activities and Resources for School Closure

The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) does not consider this closure to count toward time-on-learning. These non-school days are considered a three-week period of school closure (March 16 - April 6). Massachusetts DESE has encouraged schools to provide students with recommendations for student learning activities. The district is providing these recommendations on the North Andover Public Schools Learning Activities for School Closure website.

Beyond the Classroom Assignments

Beyond the classroom was designed for short term weather related closures. Beyond the Classroom assignments cover the required 2 days (3/16, 3/17) to bring us to our 185th day of school. Teachers are available via email and will be checking in with students during the school closure. The 2 days of Beyond the Classroom work will be collected when students return to school. Please reach out to the classroom teacher via email if you have questions on the assignments.

Beyond the Classroom Assignment website

Food Service:

Our Food Services staff will be working to provide breakfast and lunch to families who need this support. Instructions on how to pre-order these meals will be made available in the next day or two. If you are not able to access the pre-ordering system, please contact us so we can make other arrangements. These meals will be available for pick-up at Stevens Memorial Library; but again, if it will not be possible for you to pick up, please contact us so we can make other arrangements. The phone number to call is 978-794-1895, extension 1.

Internet and Device:

Comcast has opened up free hotspots for internet access to anyone.  You do not need to be a Comcast customer. You access these hotspots by choosing xfinity wifi in your settings. If you need further support with access to devices or the internet, please complete this form.

MCAS, AP, SATs testing:

  • We expect to hear more from MA DESE in the near future regarding MCAS, as all public schools are in the same position.

  • The College Board has cancelled May SAT testing in response to the Coronavirus. More information is available on their website.

  • The AP Program is developing resources to help schools support student learning during extended closures, as well as a solution that would allow students to test at home, depending on the situation in May. As we receive updates, we will communicate those to you.

Events and Activities

During the closure, all North Andover Public School events and activities, including athletics and arts, will not be held. Based on MA DESE’s guidance, the last day of school will be Friday, June 19, 2020.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) offers guidelines on how to talk with your children and social distancing recommendations during this uncertain time.

The Town will also be in frequent communication as information becomes available. We welcome all of the questions, comments, and concerns you might have; please email COV...@northandoverma.gov. Please note, while emails will be read daily, you may or may not receive a direct reply. We appreciate your cooperation and patience in the coming weeks.

Families will have access to their teachers and principals during this time. To find your teachers or principals’ contact information click here